What Mods hurt Dependability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobyhunr

Reaction score
Hello all, first post. I am so sick of salesman. I need a few saws for my business. I think I need at least two. Both need to be pro saws. The parts and modification parts, must be abundant and available. First saw would cut and trim uneven packs of lumber, needs to cut 24”, and be light. Kick back and throwing small blocks of lumber, are major issues. I have used the 088 with 48” bar and 06x with 24” 404. I was thinking 3/8 chain on a 361-4xx mag trying to run lighter weight and make mods to make it run like a 06x. I am open to Husky and more towards Jonsered 2171, just don’t know all the saws and numbers. I’m a buyer so if anyone can supply help or have one for sale. The other Saw is what I would call a log buyers or veneer buyers saw. 20” for the most part can fit a 24” also, very light, fast, fast chain, easy to start. Its only mission is to buck and cookie, start and stop all day. A light modified dependable saw. This saw needs to impress the best. So do I need Two saws or One? How can i find simple mods that dont affect Dependability?
Thanks Jim

Last edited:
Hello all, first post. I am so sick of salesman. I need a few saws for my business. I think I need at least two. Both need to be pro saws. The parts and modification parts, must be abundant and available. First saw would cut and trim uneven packs of limber, needs to cut 24”, and be light. Kick back and throwing small blocks of lumber, are major issues. I have used the 088 with 48” bar and 06x with 24” 404. I was thinking 3/8 chain on a 361-4xx mag trying to run lighter weight and make mods to make it run like a 06x. I am open to Husky and more towards Jonsered 2171, just don’t know all the saws and numbers. I’m a buyer so if anyone can supply help or have one for sale. The other Saw is what I would call a log buyers or veneer buyers saw. 20” for the most part can fit a 24” also, very light, fast, fast chain, easy to start. Its only mission is to buck and cookie, start and stop all day. A light modified dependable saw. This saw needs to impress the best. So do I need Two saws or One? How can i find simple mods that dont affect Dependability?
Thanks Jim

Sounds like you need a 361/460 combo if you go w/ Stihl. Factory dual port muffler on the 460 and modded muffler on that 361 ought to get you going without sacrificing longevity. Using the correct gas/oil Mixture & gracious bar oil along with routine maintenance should help more than anything to ensure longevity. That should help - and keep other folks you dont know from using them and you're set :)

I would buy one saw.

A 7900 , It will out cut a 460 and pull pretty close to a 660 with a muffler mod.Yet it is cheaper than either.

I have a 460 that runs with my dual port 660, both 25/32" bars.:jawdrop: :jawdrop: The builder did a awesome job and is easy to find.:cheers:

I would say 2171 with a woodsport would do the trick. I think you may be close to a 066 but not quite the hp unless you did more mods. The 7900 Dolmar is a very good choice but dealers are scarce. If you are cutting that size wood the 2171 or 440 is the ticket but cutting big wood needs the hp to get it done fast. The 460 and 285xp are better for hp and when woodsported should stay with an 066 in most situations but you will pay a price as far as weight is concerned. My vote is the 2171 with a woodsport you will be at around 6hp and have a high power to weight ratio. A woodsported worksaw will last a long time and will keep the engine cool but will suck a lot of gas back and they are loud after the muffler is modded but still reliable. it will cost you around $200 to get the job done depending on the builder. If you need fast cuts try some squareground chain they are better suited for clean wood and the risk of kickback is a little higher but the chain cuts 20 percent quicker. You need a flat file to sharpen it and it takes time to learn but it may be worth it for the productivity. I would check with the builder and see what kind of hp numbers they get with each model and go from there.

Last edited:
Your best mod will be a sharp chain, then go from there. And anyone who knocks a modded saw simply has not run one.

Yep.. who hasn't cut with chain that's 30% slower just because the edge is a little off...? takes a lot of modding to get that as a gain. I'm very happy with a muffler mod and a sharp chain... (and a bunch of different sized saws;)

Last edited:
Back