What size pickup to pull 7-ton dump trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Here's what I ended up buying:

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 4spd auto, 6.0L gas, 104k miles, quad cab, lift kit, dual exhaust, oversized tires, premium auto system.

Interior is dirty and the driver's seat needs replaced or at least reupholstered. Exterior is in great shape. My mechanic gave it a pretty good physical and it came up clean and in good running order.

Paid $9800.

Tomorrow, I'll hitch up the dump trailer and we'll test her out...

I have an 03 Chevy crew cab with the duramax and unloaded I get about 20 mpg. Now if you have a lead foot and take off at stop lights like your in a drag race that number will go down to about 16 or 17. A buddy I used to work with got the same exact truck but with the 6.0 and he said the best he could get was around 15 unloaded. I don't know his driving habits but you may want to take another look at the dmax fuel does cost more but you can get about 5 more mpg out of it. Also I dont believe the 6.0 has the allison transmission which to be honest with you is just about bullet proof. The dmax allison combo will set you back more coin but I think you would like it better in the long run. Quick question have you test drove a dmax yet? If not you need to that will probably help you decide.
:givebeer:

I loved my 05 2500 HD with the 6.0L. best gas motor for pulling I've ever owned (and still practical)

The truck had a utility bed on it and the milelage was right around 12. It didn't matter if you beat the snot out of it, or took it easy. It got the same milelage. And out on the highway, it got better milelage at 80mph then it did between 65-70.

It had 4.10 gears in it.

My next truck will be a Dmax, but that will have to wait as the house comes before the new truck.

On a side note, my 2000 1500 Z71 with the 5.3 gets 18mpg unloaded and runs great. It will tow 8-9K lbs quite well, but I wouldn't go more than that with a 1/2 ton. My truck has 3.73's in it, but I think it would get better milelage and tow better with 4.10's. The 1/2 tons have bigger(taller) tires and less gear than the 3/4 and 1 tons. At cruising speeds on the highway, unless you are doing 80, lags a little and what I've done with other vehicles still think the 5.3 with 4.10's would be a great combo. You might check into the 1500HD and see if it is available with the 5.3. The 6.0 is awesome, but sucks the fuel.

Last edited:
You might check into the 1500HD and see if it is available with the 5.3. The 6.0 is awesome, but sucks the fuel.

I've never seen a 1500HD with anything other than the 6.0

The 6.0L is a great motor except for the gas mileage but what do you expect.

I just bought a 93 F250 SuperCab 2WD long bed the the 7.5L 460ci V8. It makes the 6.0L look like a gas saver. I've filled up twice. Once was 10.5 mpg and the other was 8.8 mpg.

Again, thanks for everyone's input.

Here's what I ended up buying:

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 4spd auto, 6.0L gas, 104k miles, quad cab, lift kit, dual exhaust, oversized tires, premium auto system.

Interior is dirty and the driver's seat needs replaced or at least reupholstered. Exterior is in great shape. My mechanic gave it a pretty good physical and it came up clean and in good running order.

Paid $9800.

Tomorrow, I'll hitch up the dump trailer and we'll test her out...

Whatever you do, make sure you watch your transmission temperatures on the 6.0L 2500: We burned one up going to Sturgis with 4 motorcycles, a golf cart & some camping gear, pulling a trailer up some 6% grades & not watching the temps! This doesn't come close to the weight you're talking about, I'm guessing we were loaded to about have of what you'll be doing. You'r going to find out the 6.0 runs great empty, lots of zip; put some weight on it & it definately is a different animal. See the quote below for the next vehicle if the 6.0L doesn't work out, can't go wrong plus you get a great runner.

I have an 03 Chevy crew cab with the duramax and unloaded I get about 20 mpg. Now if you have a lead foot and take off at stop lights like your in a drag race that number will go down to about 16 or 17. A buddy I used to work with got the same exact truck but with the 6.0 and he said the best he could get was around 15 unloaded. I don't know his driving habits but you may want to take another look at the dmax fuel does cost more but you can get about 5 more mpg out of it. Also I dont believe the 6.0 has the allison transmission which to be honest with you is just about bullet proof. The dmax allison combo will set you back more coin but I think you would like it better in the long run. Quick question have you test drove a dmax yet? If not you need to that will probably help you decide.
:givebeer:

I regularly tow 14K - 16K with my 2003 Duramax/Allison combination I wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe another newer version when I wear this one out) Check out some of my threads on www.thedieselplace.com its a great place for info on the Dmax/Ally combo, my user name is the same on that site too. I run the EFI Live ECM by Kennedy diesel----AWESOME! I would recommend this combo to anyone thats going to tow.

I've never seen a 1500HD with anything other than the 6.0

The 6.0L is a great motor except for the gas mileage but what do you expect.

I just bought a 93 F250 SuperCab 2WD long bed the the 7.5L 460ci V8. It makes the 6.0L look like a gas saver. I've filled up twice. Once was 10.5 mpg and the other was 8.8 mpg.

HaHa. I've had several 429/460 in trucks from 78 to 97 and yeah aren't they horrible, I believe a 86 I had was the worst it was around 8 always. Always had great power though.

HaHa. I've had several 429/460 in trucks from 78 to 97 and yeah aren't they horrible, I believe a 86 I had was the worst it was around 8 always. Always had great power though.

Here's my gas guzzler:
(I only paid $2,800 for it!)

2008-02-16041.jpg

2008-02-16039.jpg

I used to pull my dump trailer [ as much as 3000lbs hitch weight loaded up onto pintle receiver hitch] with my old trusty 1992 F150 4x4 300 six ,auto. I put 1 ton leafs on the back plus airbags. Then I added 6" channel iron onto the frame from the middle of the truck to the back bumper . Michelan 10 ply tires finished the upgrade. I used this setup for about 5 years and never had a problem, but then gas got real expensive so I have since replaced the F150 with a 07 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins [Love this new truck] I put airbags on the back of the Dodge too and with Michelin 80 psi cold tires the trailer feels like a light weight.

Yes for 5 years I broke the law and never got caught by the weigh scale guy even though my F150 was upgraded and I have good tandem electric brakes on the trailer. The law determines the trucks capability by the lbs on the sticker inside the door. But like a lot of small operators I didn't want to upgrade to a new expensive truck too quickly and just took a few chances. When I was pulling that heavy trailer with my F150 I'd laugh at the guys with the new 3/4 or 1 tons diesels hauling their weeks supply of groceries or a canoe in the back. But then they were probably laughing at me too or maybe felt sorry for me.

Last edited:
Your gunna be happy with the 6.0L gas engine. My buddy owns a towing company and started off with 2, 2500 chevy p/u with the 6.0 gasser, and 2 hydraulic tilt bed trailers. Even though he has purchased a couple flat beds and wreckers since then he still has those 2 p/u's doing transports almost every day. The factory brakes on them are awesome, the power is great, and the ride is nice too. One is a ex-cab short box, and the other a 4-dr. long bed. The long bed handles the weight better, but the shorty can get in anywhere. And I'm not a chevy guy at all. I'm more of a fan of the cummins. And as far as the allisons go, Ha, he's already on tranny #3 in his chevy 5500 flat bed and the truck only has just under 80,000 on it and is 2 1/2 yrs old. Its a light duty allison, its not built for the daily stress of hard heavy towing. For that a standard IS the only way.

I used to pull my dump trailer [ as much as 3000lbs hitch weight loaded up onto pintle receiver hitch] with my old trusty 1992 F150 4x4 300 six ,auto. I put 1 ton leafs on the back plus airbags. Then I added 6" channel iron onto the frame from the middle of the truck to the back bumper . Michelan 10 ply tires finished the upgrade. I used this setup for about 5 years and never had a problem, but then gas got real expensive so I have since replaced the F150 with a 07 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins [Love this new truck] I put airbags on the back of the Dodge too and with Michelin 80 psi cold tires the trailer feels like a light weight.

Yes for 5 years I broke the law and never got caught by the weigh scale guy even though my F150 was upgraded and I have good tandem electric brakes on the trailer. The law determines the trucks capability by the lbs on the sticker inside the door. But like a lot of small operators I didn't want to upgrade to a new expensive truck too quickly and just took a few chances. When I was pulling that heavy trailer with my F150 I'd laugh at the guys with the new 3/4 or 1 tons diesels hauling their weeks supply of groceries or a canoe in the back. But then they were probably laughing at me too or maybe felt sorry for me.

I have thought about upgrading my 01 F-350 with the air bags. What kit did you use? I saw them do it in 8-lugz mag, didn't seem too difficult. Gotta love the diesel but I drive her only when she is working and do my quotes in a little 4-cylinder. You diesel guys should seriously consider biodiesel ( see thread in commercial section )

i dont know how you feel on truck makes but i got my heart set on one of these international cxt's

I have thought about upgrading my 01 F-350 with the air bags. What kit did you use? I saw them do it in 8-lugz mag, didn't seem too difficult. Gotta love the diesel but I drive her only when she is working and do my quotes in a little 4-cylinder. You diesel guys should seriously consider biodiesel ( see thread in commercial section )

I bought the Firestone Ride Rites ,$300. Never had a problem with them.

Latest posts

Back