what to do? - 1st time poster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbuggle

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So........

hello to all. my new addiction has begun.

So, Ive had an 029 (20") for several years now (1996) which I use for firewood cutting/home heating. I also have a little POS green and purple one which just won't die (use for smaller stuff....sometimes, or when too lazy to refuel the 029).

I cut mostly in the USNF (Pisgah, NC) and usually have to climb up down from the road bed to cut (or winch to road sometimes). Sometimes I will carry the little green/purple (poulan 2175, no chain brake) when having to climb etc, for it's lightness even though cutting speed is sacrificed.

Sooooooooo........

I just ordered 346xp -18" (wife's gonna kill me) from "n". Figured it to replace both. Or will it/should it just add to the quiver?

Are there any reasonable mods to be made to make the 029 have it's place?
sell it?

did i do the right thing?
WWYD?

thanks,

troy

Last edited:
Welcome to play pen. Add it to the quiver you can never have to many arrows. 346xp is a great saw you will love it. Yes you did the right thing . wifes you can get anywhere, new editions 346s are hard to come by.

Last edited:
you did the right thing tbug. you'll like that saw.

keep that stihl around just to have a back up saw and since it will not be your go to saw find a couple mods you can do to it now that it will have some downtime.

take that poulan. and well use it as target practice when you are dropping wood. that should make that saw useful.

Welcome to play pen. Add it to the quiver you can never have to many arrows. 346xp is a great saw you will love it. Yes you did the right thing . wifes you can get anywhere, new editions 346s are hard to come by.

They are available if you call the right folks. :clap: :clap: :clap:

From what others have said about the 346 I think you will like it. You could open up the muffler on your 029 to gain a little performance. You will probably also want to get a non cat muffler for your 346 if yours is an etech (distinquished by having a green gas cap).

The 346 is going to be lighter, smoother, etc....but as far as cutting performance in bigger wood it isn't going to have much of an edge if at all vs your 029.

I'd just run the 346 for a while to see if you still want to keep the 029. If the 029 is in good shape they hold their value pretty well and you'll be able to get a few $ for it. As far as selling the poulan...you could do that...but the amount of money you get for it probably won't be worth the time you have invested into selling it. I'd just hang onto it or else sell it to a neighbor or a friend. It's always nice to have at least two saws in case you get one of them pinched.

From what others have said about the 346 I think you will like it. You could open up the muffler on your 029 to gain a little performance. You will probably also want to get a non cat muffler for your 346 if yours is an etech (distinquished by having a green gas cap).

The 346 is going to be lighter, smoother, etc....but as far as cutting performance in bigger wood it isn't going to have much of an edge if at all vs your 029.

Yeah, i figured as much, mainly looking for an edge for the aching back!!!
Figured alittle lighter would help as only rarely am i using the capacity of the 20" bar/029. More often for reach than for girth.

Now how much does the narrower pixel chain help? I assume that will get you a little more effective HP?

It sounds like he already ordered himself a NE 346xp...his question is what he should keep.

problem is, i didn't even know there's a new version.....perhaps I'll call in the a.m. and cancel? The version shown appears to be the smaller engine.

note to self: do more research!!!

The new version has a grey top. the saw has a wider powerband and seems to be a better overall design. I would get the new one.

problem is, i didn't even know there's a new version.....perhaps I'll call in the a.m. and cancel? The version shown appears to be the smaller engine.

note to self: do more research!!!

The 346XP that I (and others recently) got from the same source has been the 50cc NE. Myself and the last person I heard from also did not get the e-tech version. I'm thinking all the bigger sellers are likely out of the old version and only have new versions (50cc) coming in (and being shipped out).

I got my 346XP for the same reason you did and it sounds like our wood gathering is much the same......having to get your wood to the road you'll want/use that lighter saw more than a heavier one. I take my 372XP along for felling/bucking the larger trees but plan on packing the 346XP for the smaller (lodgepole pine) stuff and limbing the bigger trees. I wouldn''t necessarily cancel your order....call them to see what you'll be getting.

BTW their site just has not been updated (nor has Husky USA) to show the 50cc version......I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll have a 50cc when it shows up.

Last edited:
The 346XP that I (and others recently) got from the same source has been the 50cc NE. Myself and the last person I heard from also did not get the e-tech version. I'm thinking all the bigger sellers are likely out of the old version and only have new versions (50cc) coming in (and being shipped out).

I got my 346XP for the same reason you did and it sounds like our wood gathering is much the same......having to get your wood to the road you'll want/use that lighter saw more than a heavier one. I take my 372XP along for felling/bucking the larger trees but plan on packing the 346XP for the smaller (lodgepole pine) stuff and limbing the bigger trees. I wouldn''t necessarily cancel your order....call them to see what you'll be getting.

BTW their site just has not been updated (nor has Husky USA) to show the 50cc version......I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll have a 50cc when it shows up.

so....from "n"?

if so, great. thanks. I'll check with them anyhow.

Last edited:
so....from norwalk??

if so, great. thanks. I'll check with them anyhow.

yes from the "N" guys. I just missed the last one Baileys had in stock.....
but yes check anyways. When I placed my order I asked them for assurance that it would be a 50cc....he checked with the boss who said that it was only 50cc versions coming in from there on out (I placed my order just before Xmas). At the time he could not tell me whether it would be an e-tech or not....and it turned out not to be (I was all ready to order the non-cat muffler from Baileys).

as of last night, no more online husky sales from "n".

got mine in on saturday, NE 346xp (confirmed). Since they are
50cc or more, no e-tech/CAT, i guess. Don't know the law...

Anyone got all the specs on the new model?? Link?

thanks again for the help.

so....does stihl make a "pixel"/narrow kerf chain i can put on the 346xp??
stihl chain seems to be worthy and seeing as how i've used it in the past on my dreaded 029....:biggrinbounce2:

pardon my ignorance in advance... ty.

and don't worry, I get my "wild thing" chains wherever.....

kinda like my women.

Back