What to do on the weekend and another photo test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spotted Owl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Another try to see if we got them all to work this time.

A hazard the BLM wanted removed. Folks were driving under instead of hugging the road edge on the other side. The people called "THEY" did their magic and figured that it was speared into the ground about 12'. About 80' past the top of the cut bank the stump still stands close to 90 or so. A neighbor came up with his range finder and came up with 31 yds to the knot burl where it broke out at.
View attachment 125349

Another view. All cut and removed as firewood. A F&W bio wanted to remove this whole to be used for creek habitat and restoration for spawning salmon. The BLM guy and me met with the bio and told him that they would never get that thing out whole. 73' and 43" at the scale end. Not much equipment around that will lift and load it whole and then not many drivers would be willing to back up on that road for more than two miles. Just ain't gonna happen
View attachment 125350

So load up the family and head out. This is the first time my boy saw this one. He was excited. I got it busted safe in the bad spots and he bucked into 18" with his 84 up the hill and rolled them down. Had to take down an alder on the other side of the road so they wouldn't roll off the steep side and be lost for ever. You can see the start of a smile on his face, daughter was taking the photos.
View attachment 125351

Lunch for the day samiches. Not exactly the main ingredient, but mother does a fine job making sure we are fed.
View attachment 125352

Then dinner after the day was done. Got two boxes of this for Christmas from the kids. It's a special day when they come off the shelf.
View attachment 125353

Hope these work this time

Owl

What kind of tree is it ?

Good pics ..... Now we need some action snaps ..:clap: . Power saws included !!!
. Actually , Pics are nice , but any kid can put up pics . ( the challenge is what makes it fun for us older guys ) ...Kids can,t do the part you did with a saw .!!!!

Great pictures, Scot. Now we need some videos.

Ya the time it took me to get this far I think moving pictures are stretch right now. Tramp and Forestryworks have said something about click this and photobucket that, I think I'll try and just get this totally figured out first. Then move on to where you don't have to click an link to see them. I'm happy with my progress on the digital divide right now this is one more step to cresting the ridge.

Good pics ..... Now we need some action snaps ..:clap: . Power saws included !!!
. Actually , Pics are nice , but any kid can put up pics . ( the challenge is what makes it fun for us older guys ) ...Kids can,t do the part you did with a saw .!!!!

This is what I have for action at this point. Once I have this down and figured and have the time and drive I'll dig through gazillion photos we have on the puter files.

If I got these in order this was the first cut of the day. To many people there trying to help so I had to wear the belt all day to keep them back. Everyone wants to hand you what they think you need at just the wrong times. I'm glad normaly it's just the boy and me or just the wife and my kids, they don't get in the way. This thing on a fairly know and used road brings spectators as we all know. I don't know how many people stopped to watch or of coarse, "you know if you did it this way".

View attachment 125458

Slamin wedges. I slabbed this one off cause it's only firewood and to teach a few things. The boy got to listen to how the wood talks, how it reacts when it's gonna slab. He learned alot that day about how things react when in a good bind. When it hit it sunk about 14". Bored a chain bind on purpose to show him and have him get it loose with out breaking anything. It was a good day for him. I was able to set lots of traps for him to deal with under a controlled set-up

View attachment 125459

This is a photo for scale. It was 43" at the small end and 73' long. It had to be split on site and by the time we got to the big end everyone just wanted to be done and go home so we didn't measure.

View attachment 125460

A couple photos of the boy.

View attachment 125461

View attachment 125462

Owl

So , what kind of tree is that ??????? Could be a hemlock , but doesn,t really look like it .... Good pics , , did you get to keep the wood ???

It's an old doug the stump up the hill is still 90 feet to where it broke out. Yup the wood is piled up getting ready for next winter, damn shame it had to be brought out like that. We have a small arch that would have brought out 12'ers. That old stuff sure mills up nice.

Owl

Nice job and a great place to learn. It is great for your son to get a chance to learn like that.
I was over 30 years old before I had a situation like that and I had no one to tell me anything. I was thrown into western timber and ground with a sink or swim opportunity.
I stumbled around for over a year before I finally had some one to start teaching me anything. It is amazing what some one can teach in just a few minutes that it would take months or years to learn on your own.

gettin broke in .

. When I get a scanner I will post some pics of the guy who broke me in .... It was a very tight show . Re cutting power line and road row . with the road in active and the power lines in and energized , and carrying the whole town ..... He and I hit the lines once .. A 3 ft dia 180 ft tall spruce in a slide .. We had sounded the tree and it sounded good , but was frozen so it was lying to us ..... It broke it,s holding wood and down the hill it went . Ripped the lines off 4 poles ... We did alot more climbing after that ... That job was like a 6 1/2 mile long clear cut 200 feet wide on both sides of the power lines .......... Lots of jacking .and wedge beating ... He got a tree on him which crushed 1 knee and broke his other leg ..........about half way thru that job ..Then I got on poor man's bushelin on POW .......And gained more teachers .... I,ve always had the knack to ask questions and listen to the answers ,or at least argue about the answers ...... And didn,t mind not getting rich as long as I was cuttin timber .......

Latest posts

Back