What to do with brush?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VelvetFoot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What is a good way for a homeowner to deal with the little branches left over from a felled tree? I am following what the local farmers seem to do, which is just make piles of them in the woods. Would it be better to kind of spread them out rather than piling them up? I'm not crazy about burning it, and I'd have to rent a chipper.

I'll eventually get to the point where I might be 'cleaning' up the woods surrounding the house some, such as leaning trees and the like. If I can use the trunk and larger branches should I do the branch pile thing there too?

This might sound trivial, but it does take some effort, no matter what.
Thanks.

Homeowner here

The previous property owner at my place left dozens of good sized brush piles in our woods. Most of these piles have killed one or two trees now. I would be curious for any advice anyone has. I rented a chipper last fall and got rid of some of the uglier and more destructive piles. But I still have ugly piles and trees at risk.

Seems to me those little brush piles get big and in your way very quickly.

My suggestion would be to buy a chipper (and be careful) or get it to the dump.

I just had the same problem today, had two piles burning and just didn't feel like dragging anymore, so I ran over it all with the riding mower, those three hard steel blades mulched it up like nothing, couldn't find the pieces. It was 1" and under.

Piles in the woods make nice bunny homes, they cook up nice in the winter.

The piles also burn REALLY fast in the middle of winter, and the snow insures the fire won't spread.

Leaving it all on the ground loose it will complete the natural cycle and that's a good way to go as well.

Renting a self feeding chipper ain't cheap, and the little ones from the store take forever, we looked into each type and neither was less work than burning reasonable piles during the winter or wet times.

It' up to you really, how hard do you want to work.

Last edited:
I have a chipper but I pile some in the woods for the birds and critters.
Leaving it all on the ground loose it will complete the natural cycle and that's a good way to go as well.
There ya go--imitate nature and you can't go wrong.

Hey gasman, how does brush kill trees?:fart: :computer2:

I have a chipper but I pile some in the woods for the birds and critters.
There ya go--imitate nature and you can't go wrong.

Hey gasman, how does brush kill trees?:fart: :computer2:

Sorry, I guess I was vague. They were piled deeply at the base of trees blocking roots from getting water and rotting the bases. That is how brush piles kill trees. I guess you wouldn't have to make the piles that way.

I will admit some of the piles are actually log piles or garbage piles.

Last edited:
I would think that brush pile would hold moisture at the bottom like mulch does before it would block roots from getting moisture . I think keeping piles away from the trunk flare would probably be a good suggestion ,but other than that I would say they are harmless if not helpful .

Latest posts

Back