What width rails?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawn_penn

sawn_penn

ArboristSite Guru
What width rails do people use?

Obviously they need to be narrower than your mill, but is it best for them to be wider (stability?) or narrower (easier placement on log?)

Your thoughts?

CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
If your talking about what we use to get our first cut, heres what I set up:

attachment.php

Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
I just use an 11 foot western hemlock 2x12 ("selected" from Home depot!)that's dead straight and true. I just screw on whatever blocks I need at each end, wherever that is, and screw to the log. Sometimes I put a couple of wedges in the middle to lock it down. Very versatile.

One day I might use rails, but the extension section of my nice ladder is looking good right now!

CaseyForrest

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
haha, They actually think its interesting to watch. The only ones I think would have a problem live across the street, and I believe I would tell them to go to hell if they ever said anything!!

Its all good though, Im not doing it every weekend for days on end, just a little here and there.

woodshop

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Same here, when I sliced up the huge oak in front of my house, all the neighbors came to watch. They thought it was pretty cool to get lumber from a tree that would have been cut into firewood otherwise. Cars passing by did a double take as I was lifting boards from a log I had just run down. I'm not doing it every weekend, and I don't run saws early in morning or late into evening when people are trying to enjoy a meal around the grill. I have never had any trouble with noise. In fact, once your neighbors find out you can handle a chainsaw, you become popular, like the village handyman.

As for guides, I use the 5 ft 2x6 aluminum guide bar sections that came with my Ripsaw system to run down the log for both my csm and Ripsaw. They have clamps that attach the end of the bars to the end of the log to hold them in place. These are handy if you wanted to elevate one end of the bar if you had a log with lots of taper for example, but wanted to slice it down the center of the log end to end.

smithie55

smithie55

ArboristSite Operative