What would you charge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyleg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a friend that wants me to clear his dam. It is about 150 yds long and 15 yds wide with mostly sweetgum up to aboyt 5 inches in diameter. Land owner says I can throw cuts to the side or chip them, what ever I want to do. I was thinking having myself and two other guys with chainsaws and brushcutters. Could be up to a 2 weekend job. What would yall charge?

You seem to have an idea of how many hours this will take just multiply that number by you hourly rate. I charge $40/hr. Another guy I know charges whatever the local car dealership charges for it's car repair laber rate.

On a job like that I would leave myself some wiggle room. I would do it by the hour and give him an estimate based on 20% additional time above and beyond what you think it will take. Being a friend, I would put it all in writing (really anyone) so friends will be friends after the job is all done. He could expect it to be done on the cheap. I would also treat all the stumps/stobs with tordon rtu so they don't grow back in more of a mess. You say you can throw them to the side, does he expect it in piles so it can be burnt or is he going to pile it. Since your cutting off at the ground allow for a couple chains to get rocked.

You've got a lot of variables there. How many trees? How tall? How thick is the underbrush? Stumps? Chipping the whole thing will at least double your time. What would you do with the chips? If chop and toss what about the brush and wood? Any heavy equipment involved to help? 150 x 15 yards I could chop and toss by myself in a day, maybe a long morning. It really depends on what is all in there. Chipping, digging stumps, knockin out big roots, rough grading, maybe a day or two more by myself. Depends on the equipment. What is happening with the land after this? Make sure you get the landowner to agree to something.

Back