Where to get air filter for Poulan XXV?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iweb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Poulan XXV Micro that was running and now doesn't and my son used it 6 months ago and lost the air filter. Is there like a Lows or Home Depot that sells them or where online can I get one?

Now like my 038 not running I get to dive into this one while waiting on parts for the 038!

Wow, an easy one I can help out with!

I made one out of a old Briggs and Stratton lawnmower filter. Cut to size, insert, cut wood!

:cheers: time...

JD in PA

Found the filter, but the problem is that I have no spark. I pulled the spark plug and put it against the case and nothing. Put in another plug from a dunebuggy and got a couple of sparks but then it quit, found a new plug so I put that in gave her a little shot of starting fluid (yea I now know not to do that) and nothing.

Now what?

It was a brand new in the box saw and a year or so ago I put it together and used it a little, then a couple of months later the son used it so it is basically new and has maybe 3 hrs on it.

Can someone walk me thru finding the points and checking them? Thanks.

Wow, thanks for all the info, hopefully I can tear into it tomorrow. Cut4fun, thanks for the links!

Ok I have looked at the drawing a dozen times, do I have to split the case in 1/2 to get to the on/off switch and the points? If so do I have to take off the carb and remove the 3 big screws by it?

micro XXV spark

Breaker points tend to grow an insulating layer of corrosion when stored for long periods. To access the points, remove the starter cover and then the flywheel. The flywheel nut is standard right-hand thread. Loosen the nut until it is flush with the end of the crankshaft. Use twister ties to tie back the starter dogs away from the crank nut. Place a penny on the end of the crank. Hold the saw by the flywheel to pull the crankshaft's end play toward the flywheel end. Strike the penny smartly (and accurately!) with a light hammer to pop the flywheel loose. Removing the flywheel will expose the points. I usually remove the points to clean and inspect. A narrow strip of 320 or 400 grit silicon-carbide wet-or-dry sandpaper folded to make a double-sided strip to pull between the points while they are squeezed together will clean up the contact surfaces. After setting the gap, use brake cleaner on the tapered portion of the crank and the mating bore of the flywheel. The metal surfaces need to be clean so they don't loosen in operation.

How do I remove the starter cover?

It's been a while, but there are a few screws to remove. I think 1 under the case, one in the rear handle, and 1 that comes in from the right hand side of the case, maybe 1 up front...Havent messed with one in a while, usually a few screws are already missing..lol

Amzingly simply reedvalve saw, the top handle splits with 1 screw, 2 screws to remove the carb, 3 screws to remove the reed plate, a handful of screws hold the case together, in a short period of time one could have this saw broken down to the bare case halves...

Are you sure you were getting a good ground, and the switch was all the way snapped ON? Ive never run into a sprk problem on one of these little saws.

Back