which chain is better OREGON or CARLTON

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

028 user

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am going to buy a 100' spool of chain shortly and I haven't decided which chain to purchase. I have used both. I am kind of leaning towards Carlton. I just put a new full chisel on yesterday and it really cuts great. Do they both hold a edge good? I really haven't used a full chisel Oregon before. I have kind of ruled out stihl ,because of the high cost. Any ideas?? thanks

Stihl chain is the best as it is harder and will require less filing per hours use over any chain I have been able to find and use. We cut up to 400 cords of hardwood per year and have used all major brands of chain. The Carlton would be my next choice if I could not get Stihl 33 RSC. The Oregon chain was once our favorite but now seems to be softer and requires more sharpenings per day than Stihl or Carlton. IMO. Pioneerguy600

Stihl chain is the best as it is harder and will require less filing per hours use over any chain I have been able to find and use. We cut up to 400 cords of hardwood per year and have used all major brands of chain. The Carlton would be my next choice if I could not get Stihl 33 RSC. The Oregon chain was once our favorite but now seems to be softer and requires more sharpenings per day than Stihl or Carlton. IMO. Pioneerguy600

+1

The Oregon LGX that I got from Amick's was very comparable to the Stihl RSC. The RSC lasted a bit longer. The LGX seems easier to sharpen because the file doesn't seem to wear as fast. The LGX was just over half the price of RSC at my dealer.

I have no experience with Carlton or Woodland Pro (Bailey's brand made by Carlton)

Back