Which is Which

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMay

Enthusiast (all saws}
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m curious if members can tell from the photos if the gauges are properly positioned below their packages? It’s a crying shame that Husky doesn’t mark/stamp the gauge that is for the low profile 3/8 pitch chain. After careful observation and comparison, the non LP gauge has a very subtle end-to-end rock when laid flat on a flat surface.

Attachments

• C9F3086B-828D-4A06-A801-A533AB672920.jpeg
    C9F3086B-828D-4A06-A801-A533AB672920.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 87B19C22-D684-4057-953A-F9D802D43C5D.jpeg
    87B19C22-D684-4057-953A-F9D802D43C5D.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
You've got me confused because it doesn't seem like there should be a difference. The pitch between 3/8" and 3/8" LP is identical, so I'm not sure why they would be different. They certainly look identical.

I'll need to look at my 3/8" LP chain tomorrow.

If had not received them on different days and did not keep track of which one came in which package I'd be confused right now too. I purposely mismatched the gauges with their packaging when I took the photos. Sorry for attaching duplicate photos of top side and underside of the gauges. The one for the low profile 91 series chain now has a red painted LP on it. Packaging does not hold up when in the woods cutting.

I cant tell and I think they're probably the same, neither one should be bent.
I use a .325 depth gauge on 3/8 lp chain and it works fine.
I'm a stickler for details. A 0.325 chain depth gauge will arrive next week. Photos in the ad for it showed it stamped/labeled as just that. We'll see.

The way these gauges set on the cutter it doesnt matter what pitch the chain is.
All that matters is the angle from the top of the cutter to the chain.
Some chains are wider than others so the notch that sets on the chain should be a different width for the different chains but the widest one will work on all chains and some drags are wider so that hole will need to be wider for some chains.

Then I would have to ask why Husky would make four different gauges- one for a 0.325, a 3/8, a 3/8 low profile and a 0.404. I guess it is a marketing tactic and a desire for revenue.

Latest posts

Back