White pine infection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexw56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm up north in Ottawa Canada.

I have an eastern white pine growing on a hill, right now it appears to have been attacked by beetles (not sure which kind) as there are a number of pitch tubes (thick and pinkish, a bit disturbing to look at) near eye level , and the needles are getting yellower by the day despite there having been heavy rainfall in the area lately.

img_1689604734625.jpg
img_1689604744890.jpg
I really want to know if there's anything I can do to save this tree at this point - is it possible that it'll survive on its own? Or should I remove it so as to prevent the beetles from infecting nearby pine trees, which luckily are located a good two hundred feet away, but still within their range I suppose.

Many thanks!!

Unfortunately, it's toast, and yes remove and dispose of asap while they are in their larval stage.

Ah, gosh, that's so disappointing to learn... but thanks for letting me know.
Really hoped that it would live through this as the tree is a nice sight in the winter time... so sorry to see it go.

Would it be enough to chip/burn the section of the trunk that's been bored or do I need to deal with the entire tree, which is a lot of work.

They feed off of the cambium layer under the bark, eventually girdling the tree. However, I just saw you were in Ottawa. Let me do a little research, and hopefully some of our yankee... I mean umm northern members may chime in... I know there are some species of pine beetle, ips is one, I think, that are treatable/recoverable.

They feed off of the cambium layer under the bark, eventually girdling the tree. However, I just saw you were in Ottawa. Let me do a little research, and hopefully some of our yankee... I mean umm northern members may chime in... I know there are some species of pine beetle, ips is one, I think, that are treatable/recoverable.
Appreciate the effort! I guess I'll put off the sawing till I get a definitive answer from you or from other members who live closer to the source of major forest fires : )

Holes seem a bit large to be insects. Can you post a few more pictures of the areas where sap is oozing from.
Thanks for weighing in. Are you suggesting sapsucker damage? As a matter of fact it just attacked my weeping willow tree (four hundred feet away)this spring, I eventually fended it off using burlap. Yet I do not see the distinctive waffle pattern in this case... I'll include photos taken from different angles, though the holes are covered in thick resin and are rather hard to discern.

Attachments

• IMG_20230717_161349.jpg
    IMG_20230717_161349.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230717_160930.jpg
    IMG_20230717_160930.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230717_161211.jpg
    IMG_20230717_161211.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Better pictures, you can see the frass in the pitch. With that heavy of a pitch response, I would guess pitch mass borer.
Srry, should have taken some close up pics.

I think you are right - I did some research myself and found that the description of the mass borer pretty much matches what I'm seeing.

From May through August, adult moths lay eggs on bark, often preferring pruning or other wounds, branch collars, or existing pitch masses.
Upon close inspection, a piece of bark on the segment of the trunk that's being attacked had at some point peeled away and left a crevice, thus creating an entry point for the borer.
IMG_20230717_200840.jpg
What I did was I scraped away most of the pitch and poked around in hopes of finding the larvae - no sign of it though.
IMG_20230717_191802.jpg
I'll remove all of it tomorrow per the instruction I read. Noticed that there's some dried pitch at an even higher spot which I'd need a ladder to reach.

To my understanding, if it is in fact the mass borer's doing the tree will have a much better chance of surviving correct?

We have an increasing problem with a couple of destructive Beatles in Colorado. I started treating our trees at the roots with a systemic insecticide a couple of years ago. I suggest you check with local authorities to get help determining which pest is the problem. There is a good chance you can treat under the trees with a systemic insecticide which will move through the trees' circulatory system and protect them.

When you see red in the pitch tube, that means that it is game over. Beetles not only eat the cambria, they bring along a fungus that chokes off the flow of pitch. Trees at this point are defenseless against the bugs.

Best to remove ASAP. The scent from successful insect attack can attract even more beetles from surrounding area and the can overwelm any similar trees you may have.

Back