Why Did the Trees Die

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrag

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
(I thought I posted this earlier tonight, but ...) 30 years ago a number of maple trees were planted in the neighborhood. Whoever planted them screwed up somehow (didn't unwrap the balls?) and all the trees recently began losing leaves and dying. They were cut down last spring and the stumps ground. New trees were then planted. A number of these new trees have died for some reason. What is the reason for the dead trees? Attached photo of an original "dying" tree and a "new" dead one.old-new.jpg

Thank you both for your replies. These trees are in a community of single family homes and townhouses. Fertilizer (herbicides) is used, but I know little about where. Might that account for losing 30 or more trees in a year? We were told it was the original planting that caused the problem.

I've attached two more photos of other "new" dead trees that are on flatter, level ground. Other than usual rain, I don't believe any of the trees received separate waterings. Out of about the 20 "new" trees that didn't get special watering, seven (7) died. But that also means 13 lived despite the lack of separate waterings. Does that suggest anything to explain the loss? Again, many thanksdeadones.jpg

Blaming the original planting method for the simultaneous die back of several -30 year old trees eliminates all credibility of that source. The area’s trees likely had a very tough year last year for some reason, drought or a pest (caterpillars?) or ? and some fared worse than others.

Newly planted trees need care and appropriate watering. Without any care, up to 50% loss would not surprise me.

Thank you all for your replies. For further clarification, our Homeowners Association paid to have about 35 established (big?) trees taken down and new trees planted. I don't know the cost, but clearly a lot. As pictured, at least seven replacements are dead. The tree company is now saying the one-year warranty is void as we never watered the trees (looks like someone didn't water the grass around the new trees either). Now one homeowner with experience at Longwood Gardens is alleging the trees were "not planted correctly (too deep)." I'm of the opinion the HOA screwed up, but maybe our landscaper could have helped by saying "get your watering can out!"
trunk.jpg
I noticed one tree that did "live," has a mottled trunk. Is it going to survive? (sorry about the rotation)

I don't see much of a root flare so they likely are too deep. That can be corrected. It was not the reason they died, however. Planting too deep takes many years (often 10 plus) to show signs of decline.

The tree contractor is not wrong to refuse to replace the trees after 1 year. The onus is on the HOA to properly care for and water the trees. That said, either the tree company did not educate the HOA on watering or their instructions were not heeded.

How many replacements were planted, 35? If 7 died that's actually not unusual. Trees go through a lot of stress during transplanting.

Agree with Big Eddy. I am a nursery grower and there can be abiotic stresses such as drought, compaction of soil, scalping of bark and cambium from trimmers and mowers, girdling roots, and biotic stress such and fungi (disease), insects…or combinations of both. The biotic stress decline is enhanced on trees already stressed from drought or injury, for example. herbicide use near trees can be a problem…remember imprelis? EPA applicator licenses of lawn service contractors used on those parcels should be checked. The one pic of the green lawn sure looks intensively treated with herbicide and fertilizer. The browning grass near the newer failing trees worries me. Looks like something was applied, sprayed. Droughty lawns go dormant and brown up evenly if not shaded. More sleuthing necessary.
mottled bark? Need pic. Lichens or fungi could be involved. And I agree with all responses regarding lack of care and esp watering in first year…I don’t offer a warranty on my b/b nursery trees for this reason. Too many people don’t make the effort to water, and it is especially dry now in Wisconsin. We’ve even seen sun/heat scalding on 10 + year old established Norway spruce recently.

Agree with Big Eddy. I am a nursery grower and there can be abiotic stresses such as drought, compaction of soil, scalping of bark and cambium from trimmers and mowers, girdling roots, and biotic stress such and fungi (disease), insects…or combinations of both. The biotic stress decline is enhanced on trees already stressed from drought or injury, for example. herbicide use near trees can be a problem…remember imprelis? EPA applicator licenses of lawn service contractors used on those parcels should be checked. The one pic of the green lawn sure looks intensively treated with herbicide and fertilizer. The browning grass near the newer failing trees worries me. Looks like something was applied, sprayed. Droughty lawns go dormant and brown up evenly if not shaded. More sleuthing necessary.
mottled bark? Need pic. Lichens or fungi could be involved. And I agree with all responses regarding lack of care and esp watering in first year…I don’t offer a warranty on my b/b nursery trees for this reason. Too many people don’t make the effort to water, and it is especially dry now in Wisconsin. We’ve even seen sun/heat scalding on 10 + year old established Norway spruce recently.
Good reply. Water stress + improper herbicide applications = dead trees.

Again , much appreciate the insights everyone has supplied. The key and simplest answer to the recently planted dead trees is we neglected to water them. The lack of a "root flare" (planting too deep) appears as a possible minor contributor. But as some have questioned, did something like a herbicide play a bigger part?

As seen in the attached photo, the browning/dead grass almost screams that something was running off the mulch area around the tree killing the grass. And then where a tree is dead and has a much larger distressed grass area, the one tree next to it with a smaller distressed grass area is apparently surviving.

Or am I imagining too much here?
grassissues2b.jpg

Latest posts

Back