Wondering about my trees (lots of pics warning)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swammie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wonderful forum! I'm wondering if I can get some input about the trees on my property.

We moved in 4 years ago and I planted 3 Chinese Elm trees. I'm concerned about their health. These shots were from earlier in the year. they seem to be showing alot fewer brown leafs:

70175914-M.jpg

70175659-M.jpg

70175563-M.jpg

70176056-M.jpg

We also have a wonderful palm. Since we moved it a sprout started near the base and it's almost 10 feet tall now. For lack of a better term, it seems to have plenty of "flowers" at the tops and is vigorously growning. I wonder what sort of palm this is so that I can research the best way to care for it:

73155068-L.jpg

73150308-L.jpg

We also have quite a few volunteer oaks. I'm allowing 5 of them to continue. I wonder what kind this little guys is:

73150342-M.jpg

73150447-M.jpg

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Doug
Sonoma County, California

The pic of the last Oak tree is a PinOak, other than that I am not much help to you, sorry.
Andy

Definitely a yucca, not a palm.
It's not Spanish Bayonet -Yucca aloifolia, that one grows as a lower bushy spreading plant, with nasty spikes, doesn't have those tall exposed stems, and your flower spikes are different.
The one you have has an obvious upright habit, you could clean out the dead leaves to tidy it up a bit, and expose the branching of the head. It looks like the lower one is branching as well which should give a nice contrast.
Its an obvious focal point in your garden, can you make it into more of a feature? Redo the planting bed with strong contrasting foliage plants, the grassy plant at the base is detracting from the yucca, path on both sides perhaps?

Bermie said:
Definitely a yucca, not a palm.
It's not Spanish Bayonet -Yucca aloifolia, that one grows as a lower bushy spreading plant, with nasty spikes, doesn't have those tall exposed stems, and your flower spikes are different.
The one you have has an obvious upright habit, you could clean out the dead leaves to tidy it up a bit, and expose the branching of the head. It looks like the lower one is branching as well which should give a nice contrast.
Its an obvious focal point in your garden, can you make it into more of a feature? Redo the planting bed with strong contrasting foliage plants, the grassy plant at the base is detracting from the yucca, path on both sides perhaps?

I did pull off alot of dead foliage during the summer this year. I stopped at the point where they did not easily come off. How do you deal with those that are brown but won't just pull easily off? Use a knife and cut close to the body?

I like what you said about the planting bed. I've been neglecting (but watering and fertilizing) it the four years we've been here. It has its turn now.

Thanks for comments/suggestions,

Doug

It looks like the elms is may be in serious trouble, I have no idea what is happening there (some type of fungal thingy? dunno) but I did a google on elm diseases and found some info here at the university of Missouri http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/plant/diseases/elm.htm but it doesn't really describe what I see in your pictures. Is that bark damage or do those grow that way? From the info here http://www.elmcare.com/about_elms/species/species_chinese.htm the bark should be smooth? The lacebark variety is supposed to be very resistant to it but there are tons of sites on Dutch elm desease and I think if you access one of your local university biology dept's sites you will find some decent answers. Taking some of the damaged leaves to one of the reputable nurseries might get you some easy answers and possible treatments. Good luck and Welcome to the site!

:cheers:

Serge

Odd

Doesn't really look like Dutch Elms Disease. Were I you, I'd check with a greenhouse and find out about your watering/fertilizing habits. Between the leaves and the bark, almost looks like something is poisoning it. Could be acidic soil from too much or wrong fertilizer or too much water, that's what usually happens to the leaves. When the leaves turn brown and die like that it's usually an indication of either too much or too little water. We only get one kind of elm here and they usually are dead by the time they hit like 12" or so diameter. Nice trees you have there all in all. Let those pin oaks grow. They are a beautiful tree for shade etc...

Dead yucca leaves

Yes, just slice off the dead ones that don't readily pull off, close to the trunk.
Have fun with the bed, go for foliage plants with contrasting leaf shapes and textures to the yucca, but also a firm strong shape, nothing wimpy! Just my 2cents, the bill is in the mail:jester:

Sprig said:
Is that bark damage or do those grow that way? the bark should be smooth?
Serge

the bark will be like that as the trees are growing quickly.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=90

here are some stats on what the trees require:
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/treeselector/index_tree.cfm?id=118

I remember them having some issues when the heat was on in the middle of the summer when i lived out there. dont know that they had any real issues with dz or insects. also check with the UC Davis or local extension office. I would suspect site conditions are creating that issue in your pics, but am not totally sure. closer inspection is required. be sure to clean up and dispose of the leaves that drop this fall, that will help rule out most leaf dz

good luck!

Back