Wood hauler engine smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who arent familiar with a kohler k341, it is a cast iron kohler, L-head configurartion. No pushrods, no valve seals, ect. It definately sounds like the carb. If it were the head gasket it would just lose power and there would be a noticible leak of gunk around it. Rebuild the carb and adjust the float. "so easy a cave man could do it" comes to mind with those carbs. Adjusting them is nice and easy too. Your local small engine shop should have a kit for 10-14 bucks (get the kit with the new needle and seat +gaskets). Good luck

For that price I'll definitely give it a shot.

try this first

shut off the gas and run the cab out of fuel at a high rpm this will some times clrae out the dirt in the needle and keep the carb from flooding, this used to work on the old quadra jets after a fuel filter change.

does anyone think that if you could put a fuel filter inline between the tank and carb? if you can fit it in there.. just a thought...

does anyone think that if you could put a fuel filter inline between the tank and carb? if you can fit it in there.. just a thought...

I dont see a reason why not, but there should be one on the fuel system already, weather it be under the tank shutoff or an inline filter, if there is not an inline filter, put one in or replace the existing one.

Although shutting the fuel off at the shutoff may loosen a piece of dirt from the needle which may be a cause of the problem, it dosent correct the fact that dirt will still exist elsewhere in the fuel system if the carb is not cleaned/filter replaced.

I dont see a reason why not, but there should be one on the fuel system already, weather it be under the tank shutoff or an inline filter, if there is not an inline filter, put one in or replace the existing one.

Although shutting the fuel off at the shutoff may loosen a piece of dirt from the needle which may be a cause of the problem, it dosent correct the fact that dirt will still exist elsewhere in the fuel system if the carb is not cleaned/filter replaced.

the kohler that is on my splitter is rather old.. and they didnt use filters and has a steel line... I am thinking of doing a redo of some things and I may try to put a filter on it.

When I got home yesterday I took the wingnut off the air cleaner and immediately a small amount of gas started pouring out of the cover. There is a fuel shutoff under the tank so for now I'll use it to stop the flow. You carb guys appear to be right on the money. Thanks.

Just rebuid the carb!! and put in a shut off valve. reason being.....

The carb has lots of sediment in it, which causes float to stick which causes BLACK smoke. I am sure it has not been touch in eons and only parts cost is $15 bucks plus a can of carb cleaner. Upon rebuilding it put in a cheap fuel shut off valve ($5.00).

The carb has lots of sediment in it, which causes float to stick which causes BLACK smoke. I am sure it has not been touch in eons and only parts cost is $15 bucks plus a can of carb cleaner. Upon rebuilding it put in a cheap fuel shut off valve ($5.00).

This sounds very doable...now I have a legit reason to hang out in the garage! Should be very straightforward.

I did not mean to sound mean I just reread my post. I guess I was in a bad mood:(

Mines Too

When I start my tractor lately it sputters and blows black smoke. Any engine savvy folks here have any advice or tips that I can use to diagnose the trouble? After about a minute it clears up and runs fine. It's a Jacobsen 1650 with a Kohler K341 engine if that helps. Thanks guys.:confused:

ITS PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THE COLD,I KNOW MINE TAKES A WHILE LONGER WITH THE GLOW PLUGS RUN OVERTIME,AND SHE SMOKES AND PUKES LIKE A BANCHIE TILL SHE GETS ALL WARMED UP....KINDDA LIKE THE WIFE:cheers:

ITS PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THE COLD,I KNOW MINE TAKES A WHILE LONGER WITH THE GLOW PLUGS RUN OVERTIME,AND SHE SMOKES AND PUKES LIKE A BANCHIE TILL SHE GETS ALL WARMED UP....KINDDA LIKE THE WIFE:cheers:

Caps off, no need to shout.
The the OP has a gas engine, you have a diesel if you have glow plugs. Diesel requires heat for ignition, gas requires spark.Hence you may have incomplete combustion when its cold, but the OP isnt suffering from temp related issues.

Thombat, I have been reading the specs and some of the old reliability reports that Kohler gets about your engine, and it sounds like you got a good one there. I wish that the trash that Kohler makes now would be half as good as the model that you have. I paid big bucks for the Kohler that I have now, and would trade it in an instant for something else. About all its good for is a boat anchor.

Last edited:
Caps off, no need to shout.
The the OP has a gas engine, you have a diesel if you have glow plugs. Diesel requires heat for ignition, gas requires spark.Hence you may have incomplete combustion when its cold, but the OP isnt suffering from temp related issues.

Thombat, I have been reading the specs and some of the old reliability reports that Kohler gets about your engine, and it sounds like you got a good one there. I wish that the trash that Kohler makes now would be half as good as the model that you have. I paid big bucks for the Kohler that I have now, and would trade it in an instant for something else. About all its good for is a boat anchor.

+1 avalancher those K series engines may well have been some of the best put out by Kohler. I've been running this tractor for 30 years and it's been very reliable. Went through a couple plugs and starters but the engine itself has been rock solid:clap:

+1 avalancher those K series engines may well have been some of the best put out by Kohler. I've been running this tractor for 30 years and it's been very reliable. Went through a couple plugs and starters but the engine itself has been rock solid:clap:

A couple of plugs eh? Try this.

4 sets of plugs.
8 head gaskets and bolt kits.
Two new heads.
Engine caught fire twice from carb backblow.Hence the new wiring kit.
1 new coil.
With a little over 200 hours on it.
Boat anchor, period.

Latest posts

Back