Wood ID quiz for the experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This one will be a little different as I did some research and found out what it is for sure by wetting up the leaf clumps still on the tree, It became apparent then what it was. Going to make it a little tuff on you as one guess per post and don't be generic, like saying Pine. I couldn't get this one by bark, look and cut section, see how you do. I'll give a yes or no to guesses every once in a while till someone gets it or if a few days pass I'll give it up. Good guessing.

Backgound: in an established woods, no creek for 1/2 mile and trunk is 30 inches in diameter.

attachment.php

This is a close up of the trunk with a limb from the same tree thrown across it

attachment.php

Hurricane Ike blew the top out of it so the leaves are still attached since it was alive at the time.

attachment.php

cut cross section

Cool looking bark, I don't think I've ever seen a Bitternut, mostly Pignut and a few Shagbark around here.

Ok now what do I win? We have a pretty even mix of the hickorys here in southwest VA. A lot of people overlook the other Hickorys because the Shellbark is so destinctive.

Ok now what do I win? We have a pretty even mix of the hickorys here in southwest VA. A lot of people overlook the other Hickorys because the Shellbark is so destinctive.

Rep on the way, beyond that all I can say is your a better IDer than me and I'm normally decent at it.:yourock::bowdown::rock:

We get some here in Central Ohio. I think they are overlooked because people have a harder time iding them over a shagbark hickory. That being said I got two really nice loads of them this past fall that I look forward to burning next year. If I remember correctly from my forestry classes in college their buds are an orangish color which is distinctive if you can see them.

My timber has quite a bit of the bitternut hickory. I burn quite a bit of it to make room for the oaks and walnuts. Seems to be a good firewood.

OK, why butternut? (I had to blurt the answer before reading through the thread to see what else folks thought).

It's hard, looks a lot like a walnut on the inside, and the kicker is the basket or net-like pattern to the outer bark. Native to central Ohio upland mesic hardwood stands, although not nearly as common as black walnut, and perhaps not noticed when it is present.

-WSJ

It doesn't really look like either bitternut or pignut hickory to me. And of course it's obviously not shagbark or shellbark.

Take a look in a 'trees' book for butternut or white walnut. -WSJ

It doesn't really look like either bitternut or pignut hickory to me. And of course it's obviously not shagbark or shellbark.

Take a look in a 'trees' book for butternut or white walnut. -WSJ

Notice the leaves are still on it? I took some of them and put them in a pan of water and they came right back to shape showing clearly what it was. Went back over with the book and the "nuts' were all over the ground, It's Bitternut and brisawyer nailed it.

Notice the leaves are still on it? I took some of them and put them in a pan of water and they came right back to shape showing clearly what it was. Went back over with the book and the "nuts' were all over the ground, It's Bitternut and brisawyer nailed it.

I humbly yield to the master . . . .

-WSJ

Latest posts

Back