Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejdman04

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My cousin emailed me, said he cut some trees down, didnt know what the wood was. He said this wood split hard and was real stringy. Anyone guess what it is?

Smelly Elm?

I took a big tree down for my sister in a residential a couples years ago that looked like that when it was cut and split. It smelled like cat urine. My stepdad called it Piss Elm.

I talked to him, he lives about 100 miles from me, I never saw the tree, he just sent me some pictures because he knows I sell firewood and figured I would know. He said the whole tree is cut and split now and he didnt take any picutres of the whole tree or bark. He said there wasnt much bark around (most of it had fallen off the tree,) he said it was still standing but dead and most of the bark was fallen off. He hasnt burned it yet, said when he was splitting it there was no noticable odor.

The one I cut, even though it was standing dead also, was soaking wet inside. More so half way through the tree towards the stump. There was water literally running everywhere while bucking this tree into 20" or so pieces. Had my log splitter on site and our pants and boots were soaked by the time we were done splitting. The tree was 20" to 25" dia. and 80 ft. tall. Does this fall into the American Elm or Red Elm category? I mean do either of those two get that big? Thx.

Flehmen

Cedar Elm is tough to split. It is red inside like Red Elm but has a bigger leaf. It doesnt have a distinctive odor IIRC or it wasn't strong. The Red Elm I am used to splits pretty good compared to American Elm. Cedar Elm will make you curse the day it germinated. I still have some out back I was hoping the wood thieves would steal so I wouldn't have to split it. Maybe I will have to stack it before it will go away.

Latest posts

Back