Wood Lots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do any of you out there make a full time living from a wood lot??

Well I just got done doing a 56 acre clear cut in Northern NH from a 65 acre parcel of land that I bought about three months ago..I make my living basicly logging/landclearing,selective cutting etc..I see you would like to start logging and also climb I do alot of gaffing when I clear house lots,I've been gaffing about 6 years now.Logging my friend is definetly not a easy job lots of hours,lots of money,and of course lot's of work,nevermind the price of a skidder,chipper,buncher,and a forwarder...but if it's what you want to do then go for it,I don't blame ya I personally love the logging bussiness..Too bad you were'nt closer I could use a hand on my next job,I could show you some stuff...

Later Rob..

Yeah that's definetly thr TRUTH I know all about that believe me I did alot less jobs before I started buying the equipment now I have a little fleet if you would,John Deere 648G,and a 748G dual function grapple skidders,a HydroAx 20" shear head feller buncher,a Timbco tracked saw head buncher,a TJ forwarder,and I can't forget the Morbark chiparvestor whole tree chipper,and then my 89 Kenworth log truck,and a bunch of Husky,and Stihl saw's..When you start to buy wquipment like this you've got some real payment's to worry about so now I also buy my own land and harvest it too,instead of just contracting.Just my 748G is $1,700 a month everything else is paid for but then you add in fuel etc...It all adds up after a while I mostly do alot of new development's landclearing usually 8-20 acres so it tends to go fairly fast,it's when you get into the 40+ acre work clear cut's,and selective cut's you got some real long hours ahead of you,but then again there's always a very good check at the end of a job like this so it all worth it when it comes down to it..

"Logg On" Later Rob....

Stihl Mag, what part of NH are you from??? what do you figure your oporating cost are for a month???

Ryan,

I'm from Southern NH near the Mass border,what are my monthly operating cost's I don't usually take care of that stuff my girlfriend does but I'll have to guess around $4-$5,000 anyway without anything breaking of course.You gotta pay if ya want to play,oh yeah I forgot to mention I almost always work alone,sometimes I'll have a few of my logging friends work with me when their not busy..

Later Rob....

did ya learn to clone yourself???lol. all that equipment for a one man show?? no ofense:D i just signed up for the arbormast Presision felling course in richmond va. looking forward to it:blob2: what is your largest saw? what is the main species you harvest:confused:

The arbormaster is a good course to take I took it a few years back,your right it is alot of equipment for a one man show,I work fast I usually do a 2 man day myself I'm thinking about hiring someone pretty soon.As for my biggest saw I have a few one would be my 064AV Stihl w/a 36",and a Husky 3120XP w/a 42" for the big felling,and my new 385XP that I just bought that has a 32" bar.I harvest White Pine and Oak,Maple mainly Pine though..but I really cut whatever I can purchase or whatever I contract the job for.

Later Rob...

what does one have to do to become a feller for a small op here on the east coast???

cool, it looks like stihl magnum is going to let me come up and try my hand at it with him. can't wait, i've always wanted to try it:blob2:

Latest posts

Back