Wood stove reccomendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been cutting wood for years between heating my Dad's house and I do about 7-10 cord a year for bonfires at the cabin (we like ragers :)). I'm in the process of gathering parts to build an inertia splitter to make this easier but thats another discussion.

I live in the city, the stove I am looking for would be our hunting cabin, which is a single wide mobile home from the mid 70's. I need something that is cost effective to heat the cabin on the weekends. Currently we will use $300-$500 per season (3 months or the year every weekend) if heating with electric and probably triple that to heat with propane. The original furnace in the cabin is about shot and isn't really worth repairing. I'm hoping to replace the old tired furnace with a wood stove (not necessarily in the same closet either). But we need something that isn't going to make homeowners insurance sky rocket. Anyone have suggestions for a cost effective mobile home approved wood stove? I see one in Northern Tool for about $800 but I don't know if its decent as I've never had to buy a wood stove.

The plan here is to spend all winter/summer cutting fire wood sell a bunch of it to the locals around here (many heat with wood) and use that money to put affordable heat back into our cabin. For the most part it will be me and one other guy doing all the work.

Yes you cam do that, there are several models mobile home approved. the big challenge is moving the heat around from one end to the other. The other little item are your water lines which run next to the hot air duct system to keep them from freezing if you are using them all year, with the wood stove you do not have much heat if any through those. ( got the t shirt). I heated mine for 7 years ( full time living quarters thanks to a divorce) with a wood stove. Those 70's and 80's units do not have a lot of insulation. make sure your belly skin is sealed up. Heat tapes on all water lines where ever you can get at them both lines.
I had a country stove( no longer made) which was of the newer technology with secondary burn in it. Specs were that it could heat 1000 sq ft. It could be negative numbers outside and 90deg in the main living area. My bedroom was on the the opposite end getting the heat back there was a challenge. Mine was a 14x60 vintage 1982.
My recommendation is to run triple wall flu pipe all the way and do not skimp on the clearances around the stove.

Last edited:
i appreciate the suggestions. Water lines currently are drained when cold season starts heavy. My goal is to setup a quick drain system so everything is sloped and I can pull open a couple of valves a bleed the system off quickly when I'm leaving on sunday, but thats a different issue. Pump house is already insulated and a heat lamp on the pump which has been working well. Stays about 50-60 in the pump house even when its below freezing outside. Pump is always warm to the touch.

Does anyone have any brand or specific stove reccomendations? High efficiency isn't required as we will only be heating on weekends and we don't have a shortage of wood. I'm basically looking for something economical that will get the job done. Clearances will be set generously as I'm one cautious SOB. Will most likely be gated off as well to keep the pack of dogs we own away from the thing. I will probably pay someone to install it as well since I've got no experience in stov einstallation and frankly I'd rather someone else have the liability, it helps me sleep at night knowing that it is done right.

i appreciate the suggestions. Water lines currently are drained when cold season starts heavy. My goal is to setup a quick drain system so everything is sloped and I can pull open a couple of valves a bleed the system off quickly when I'm leaving on sunday, but thats a different issue. Pump house is already insulated and a heat lamp on the pump which has been working well. Stays about 50-60 in the pump house even when its below freezing outside. Pump is always warm to the touch.

Does anyone have any brand or specific stove reccomendations? High efficiency isn't required as we will only be heating on weekends and we don't have a shortage of wood. I'm basically looking for something economical that will get the job done. Clearances will be set generously as I'm one cautious SOB. Will most likely be gated off as well to keep the pack of dogs we own away from the thing. I will probably pay someone to install it as well since I've got no experience in stov einstallation and frankly I'd rather someone else have the liability, it helps me sleep at night knowing that it is done right.

Just about any mobil home approved stove would work well. Not sure if it is mobil home approved, but Englander stove makes a good product at a good price. I think they even have a few "big box store" brand names (made by Englander, but sold under another name) that can be picked up for reasonable money.

Don't forget the expense of stove pipe. Others with more knowledge will tell you exactly what you need, but think triple wall stainless insulated stove pipe following all safety precautions and codes, yada yada.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/mode...oves-and-mobile-home-safety-zmaz85sozgoe.aspx

KD

We make the Drolet & Century brand. If you want good quality and good value you may want to check the Century Heating EPA-Certified Wood Stove with Pedestal — 50,000 BTU, Model# CB00012 | Wood Stoves| Northern Tool + Equipment. It is High efficiency. Even though you say it's not important... in the long run it is. It will provide you with longer burn time and reduce your wood consumption by at least 1/3rd (sell the rest) and keep your chimney cleaner for longer.

However, have you thought about a pellet stove? It's ideal for mobile homes. It's like a miniature furnace, you can put it on a thermostat and with this model you can actually plumb a small ductwork to move warm air from one end of your trailer to the other. Drolet Eco-65 Pellet Heater — 65,000 BTU, Model# DP00055 | Corn, Pellet Multi-Fuel| Northern Tool + Equipment

Mind you it's more expensive than a wood stove.

All the best!

Latest posts

Back