Wood waste

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
douglas1

douglas1

ArboristSite Member
Yup, amazing how much junk is left over. WE generaly process into rounds over the winter then split a year later in the spring so it has all summer to dry once split. Not much bark makes it's way through plus all the chips and splinters. If we are splitting and the OWB is burning the froth goes into the OWB. If it gets wet it goes into areas for fill just like yours. We would burn it all if we had no close neighbors. Wet "biomass" makes like LOTS of smoke.

do you leave the rounds uncovered in a pile over the winter. I'm asking because i have about 5-7 cords worth..I wont be able to split until next year.

cityevader

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
This morning I was going to post a thread asking how folks get rid of this stuff, but you beat me to it!!!

After a couple cords of dry Oak, there's a pile of bark that seems a half cord by itself! The splinter stuff makes great kindling. I throw it into a plastic 30 gallon trash cans with lids, fills up after about 2 cords. Leave them outside the living room door safe from the rain. (Tiny stove needs re-light every single evening).

But burning the bark makes for a ton of ash it seems. Years later in the compost pile, it's still bark. I wish I had a chipper to throw it into!

USAFretired

USAFretired

ArboristSite Member
Sounds like we all do about the same with leftovers. The wife and I usually have a nice fire going in the pit while splitting and a lot of the bad stuff goes right in, but most of it goes in plastic trash cans and gets hauled into the garage for kindling. We do like to save some of it for a bonfire and have people over to cook out some steaks and hotdogs and sausage. We then just sit around the fire and gab most of the night. That is what I call entertainment.

Latest posts