woodchuck throw through?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a woodchuck chuck and duck I am using. The knives are 14 inch. Even with earplugs it has a sickeningly loud drone. I am wondering if I should put a tach on the engine to see if it is going to fast? I have never heard another one so I am not sure. After I shut off the engine and disengage the clutch there is what I think is a dry bearing noise. I took off all the covers and can find no grease zerks for the main bearings. Should I drill it and put one in? Thanks

I've got an old '85 woodchuck. I've only had it for 8 months, but gas, oil, and grease are all it's needed to keep right on eating brush. I've been really happy with it, especially for the price.

Dry bearing sounds can't be a good thing. I've only found 4 grease zerks on mine, 2 for the drum, and 2 for the clutch bearing.

The drum zerks (on mine) are located on top of the drum housing, one on each side of the drum.

The clutch zerks are above and below where the clutch lever attaches to the housing. Which reminds me.....I need to replace my bottom clutch zerk...it won't take grease.

Good Luck.

The blower fan makes the loud noise(on the side of the chute). I once built an extended cover to divert the noise foward . Only partially blocked the fan intake. It seemed to help a lot.

Good info

Thanks for the info. I have done some more checking and the knives are supposed to be .013 to .016 and mine are .0625. Maybe the tighter tolerance will slow it down so it won't whip me with limbs so badly!

Latest posts

Back