Woodshed slat spacing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[qoute] Moisture evaporation (seasoning) requires energy... the natural source of that energy is sunlight not wind (or ventilation),... but the amount of moisture the air can hold is increased by temperature... the temperature of air is increased by energy, a.k.a., sunlight). Why anyone would block any of the available energy just baffles me beyond comprehension.

Sunshine is good for drying but the infra red energy it produces does not significantly heat air. It heats the wood and the moisture inside. Moisture turns to vapor as the heat energy it contains transfers to the air provided moisture content of air is low enough. With this mechanism in mind you can design a very effective shed.

A well designed shed will dry wood as quickly as sun alone by putting the energy to work over all the wood. Temperature differentials on warm days cause air to move across the ends. The stack temperature changes slower than air temperature which can cause air movement and if the air is dry enough, evaporation. As long as the relative moisture content is low enough, the wood dries. Drying in a shed has the added advantage of keeping the wood from picking up moisture from rain &etc, from rot due to leaf accumulation, from having to pick up a stack that's blown over. When I had one shed I would have it refilled by beginning of June, often working through weeks of rainy weather, and would begin burning by the end of October. I mix all sorts of hardwood from Birch to Oak to Ash to Maple so the results aren't species specific. On average we get more annual rainfall than Seattle but my firewood dried in time to burn.[/QUOTE]

Yep. "sun on the wood" is overrated. The sun only hits one end and the top layer, air movement gets everything

Harry K.

That shed in the last pic would be a pain to have to constantly climb up and down.

I season all my wood for two years. Wood is in single row stacks and I don't have the luxury of all these stacks being in the sun, actually most is in the shade. The first year I leave the wood uncovered, the second year I cover the top row with tarp strips that keep the rain and snow from infiltrating the stacks. Works for me here in central Jersey. I have a moisture meter and all my wood including red oak will be at 20% MC or less after 2 year using this method.

Definitely not interested in building a climbing wall for my shed.

I'm ready to put the roof on it and the 8' panels I have recommend a 3/12 pitch, but less is acceptable depending on application. I'm obviously not going to run a gutter, so there won't be anything there to stop the snow or allow it to build up.

My 4x4s and where the yellow pine 2x6s fall don't line up with the seams in the panels, so I'm going to put 2x6s at each of the 5 4x4s, at the two ends of the roof, and then put 2x4s every 18" to support the roof panels/overlaps.

That's seems like plenty of support and strength for a 24' roof. I'm wondering if I can get away with a 1/6 or so. It would allow me a bit more height under the roof and an easier finish to the build.

Well...it's up. Finished the last five roof panels this morning and I started stacking this afternoon. I'm loving that the stacks just about can't fall over. Enough room for about 3-4" between rows.

I don't have enough room for two years worth of wood, but I should be able to get 1 1/3 to 1.5 years worth. The wood I stack in it next March will have about 11 months before I burn it.

Well...it's up. Finished the last five roof panels this morning and I started stacking this afternoon. I'm loving that the stacks just about can't fall over. Enough room for about 3-4" between rows.

I don't have enough room for two years worth of wood, but I should be able to get 1 1/3 to 1.5 years worth. The wood I stack in it next March will have about 11 months before I burn it.

Uhmmmm... Are you forgetting something? Pics? ;)

It's solid. I can easily fit a cord per bay and probably a bit more if I go all the way to the roof. Between the 15 4x4s sunk in concrete, 2x6s all the way around, 7 2x6 rafters, 14 2x4 rafters, and 40 screws per 3'x8' roof panel, it's solid. I'm going to put supports from the posts to the rafters and I'm going to put a small shelf on the side opposite of the direction of typical wind to store kindling. Also going to put a flashing/cap on the 2x6 to keep the rain off of it on the front. We don't get a lot of strong wind here and if we get something strong enough to tear this thing apart, I'll be more worried about my house.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 93
It's solid. Between the 15 4x4s sunk in concrete, 2x6s all the way around, 7 2x6 rafters, 14 2x4 rafters, and 40 screws per 3'x8' roof panel, it's solid. I'm going to put supports from the posts to the rafters and I'm going to put a small shelf on the side opposite of the direction of typical wind to store kindling. I can easily fit a cord per bay and probably a bit more if I go all the way to the roof.

Also going to put a flashing/cap on the 2x6 to keep the rain off of it on the front.
Very nice.

If I provide beer and lots of good food will you build one at my place?

Very nice.

If I provide beer and lots of good food will you build one at my place?

How far are you from Bemidji? I built most of it with my father in law. Good times with him. My folks were in Ireland for the Penn State game. Going to guilt them into helping stack all the wood.

It looks very nice and expensive. I try not to spend money on firewood or the storage of it. It definitely looks nicer than what I use and you did a great job building it.

It looks very nice and expensive. I try not to spend money on firewood or the storage of it. It definitely looks nicer than what I use and you did a great job building it.

It really wasn't that bad. I used less lumber than anticipated and got contractor/cash pricing on the materials. I returned a bunch of unused lumber as I think it ended up around $600.

I built the shed to make life easier on my wife when in bit around. I was gone for 10 months last year and it makes life easier for her to not have to deal with uncovering and recovering the wood with tarps. It's also quicker and easier to stack and I can't see the stacks falling over.

I used to cut my own wood, mostly scrounging, but with kids and everything else going on, I just don't have the time nor do I have the space to have logs dumped to cut/split.

Then you made the right choice! Happy wife equals happy life! Also, if you were and are gone serving our country then I thank you!

Then you made the right choice! Happy wife equals happy life! Also, if you were and are gone serving our country then I thank you!

Thanks. She's a keeper.

Wasn't deployed, but it was orders that had me separated from the family. I was surprised and impressed that my wife wanted to manage heating the house with wood while I was gone and she had the two kids by herself.

I have another cord to stack in the open bay. This has been the easiest I've ever stacked wood. The kindling will move once the heating season starts. Found a source I can get wood as I need it pretty cheap and I'll pick it up a cord at a time as I empty a bay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back