woodsport Ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman142

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well my 660 broke the crank and has to come apart anyway/already is. I figure I will make an attempt to get a little more out of it. This saw still needs to be able to serve a purpose as a firewood saw. I put the new crank in and my timing numbers are Intake - 166* Exhaust 174* and transfer - 114*. It also has 190 wet compression, not sure dry.

The exhaust is higher than most want in a work saw. A lot of threads get overlooked in here as most just look in the chainsaw forum. Just widen out the intake and exhaust and run it.

The exhaust is higher than most want in a work saw. A lot of threads get overlooked in here as most just look in the chainsaw forum. Just widen out the intake and exhaust and run it.

Those were stock numbers. Prettymuch what i am doing is smoothening out the imperfections, widening the ports and them some carb work. I plan on leaving the intake a little rough as well.

So would it help if i lowered the intake port a bit. There is a lip at the bottom of the port where it goes into the cylinder. It just looks like a place that would throw off the flow a bunch. It will prolly gain about 10* of intake time if it is removed tho.

Im doing the same thing and don't no were to go with it ether. my saw has big bore kit right now. I was just going to widen but might pull the gasket?:confused2:

Im doing the same thing and don't no were to go with it ether. my saw has big bore kit right now. I was just going to widen but might pull the gasket?:confused2:

Mine had the death ring and tons on compression so I used a base gasket. I widened the intake and exhaust and opened up the transfers as well, re-ringed it and thats about it. leave the intake slightly rough and polish the exhaust as best as you can. Mines not for racing, its for work.

Mine had the death ring and tons on compression so I used a base gasket. I widened the intake and exhaust and opened up the transfers as well, re-ringed it and thats about it. leave the intake slightly rough and polish the exhaust as best as you can. Mines not for racing, its for work.

Thanks for the advice I will leave the gasket alone ,my saw is for work and play not racing just doing this for somthing to do and because I can.

i have an MS 660 that i also broke the crank on, what should i replace it with? the local dealer said $350 for a new one but i see them on Ebay or other internet sited for as low as $65 so...... what is a good one?

i have an MS 660 that i also broke the crank on, what should i replace it with? the local dealer said $350 for a new one but i see them on Ebay or other internet sited for as low as $65 so...... what is a good one?
Hey did you ever find out if you should lower the port. Funny I just blew off the dust on my 066. I bought it a new 30'' bar and going to take it to work tomorrow. Haven't ported it yet. I haven't had much luck with ebay lately but 350 bone is a shot in the balls. Its just money though and cheaper than a new saw.

i'm not going to buy the $350 one, so what company makes a good crank for the MS660?

Hey did you ever find out if you should lower the port. Funny I just blew off the dust on my 066. I bought it a new 30'' bar and going to take it to work tomorrow. Haven't ported it yet. I haven't had much luck with ebay lately but 350 bone is a shot in the balls. Its just money though and cheaper than a new saw.

I used OEM. and yes I did lower the port but I had too much compression so I also raised jug. it seems to be running good at this moment.

On my 660 I raised the transfers to like 134 so I had 17* for blow down, instead of the stock 25*. I also did remove the same lip you speak of on the intake, which gained me 6 or 8deg of duration. The exh port I left alone duration wise, as there is too much duration there already in my opinion. But i did widen that port approx 1mm a side.

A good Stihl guru/friend DOES NOT recommend aftermarket cranks for the 660s esp if your gonna be turning them faster then stock. Poor QC and you will most likely end up doing it again. Keep an eye on flee bay, I just got a Stihl 660 and 460 crank for $86 shipping (two parts saws)....

If your pushing up the compression may want to look at deleting the deco valve...

Back