Working out the bugs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HUCKLEBERRY

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Friday was the first chance I've had to put everything together and run my CSM. All in all I'm very pleased. A few "glitches" but no show stoppers.
attachment.php

My partner and I have rented some space from a local trucker that has a nice yard with lots of equipment. I'm sure it will take a bit of work for us to find the best setup for the space we have.
attachment.php

Since we are only putting flats on log beams my Makita 6401 will have to do but I am already feeling the need for a bigger powerhead.
attachment.php

This was a problem that became obvious once things were setup. The original jacks I had planned on using turned out to be just a tad too short. I traded them out for these taller units. As you can see the taller units are too tall and will interfere with the powerhead if milling thin stock not to mention get bashed while loading logs onto the mill. I think the simplest solution will be to cut the mounting flanges off the jacks and re-weld them up higher on the jack body. Once that is done I think we'll be set for awhile.

Nice work! :clap:

One question. Is there are reason the carriage is so tall? It even looks taller than it is wide? I'm trying to envisage running the saw above the operators head although I guess a winch and a remote throttle will be one solution to that

Nice work! :clap:

One question. Is there are reason the carriage is so tall? It even looks taller than it is wide? I'm trying to envisage running the saw above the operators head although I guess a winch and a remote throttle will be one solution to that

Two part answer.

1 - When I first started designing my version of a procut mill I was working on a project with big logs that needed to be milled in half to make stair treads. I designed my mill to accept logs up to about three feet in diameter because of some of the hardships we experienced milling those treads. We were using a swingblade mill and we would make a couple of passes down each side and then come back and connect the cuts with a chainsaw. Took alot of time. Therefore I made the carriage @ 42" tall because you lose some milling clearance because of the chainsaw mounts etc. It is tall.
2 - The mill itself sits higher than necessary because I didn't pull the tires off and they are big tires. If I pulled the tires and lowered the mill until the hubs hit the ground it would be a different picture.

Last edited:
Two part answer.

1 - When I first started designing my version of a procut mill I was working on a project with big logs that needed to be milled in half to make stair treads. I designed my mill to accept logs up to about three feet in diameter because of some of the hardships we experienced milling those treads. We were using a swingblade mill and we would make a couple of passes down each side and then come back and connect the cuts with a chainsaw. Took alot of time. Therefore I made the carriage @ 42" tall because you lose some milling clearance because of the chainsaw mounts etc. It is tall.
2 - The mill itself sits higher than necessary because I didn't pull the tires off and they are big tires. If I pulled the tires and lowered the mill until the hubs hit the ground it would be a different picture.

Thanks HB - it now makes sense.

I think a 7900 top end for your 'kita is less than $200.

:)

I'd definitely consider that kit if my saw had a lot more hours on it. Right now it is still a relatively low hour engine. If I smoke the cylinder milling I'll research that option thoroughly. Have you seen much feedback on AS about it?

Back