Working vacation in Ontario possible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavint

Reaction score
Hi there, new to the forum.

I live in Germany, and just finished the first week of training on the way to becoming a European Tree Worker, so ISA equivalent Certified Climbing Arborist. Should have it all wrapped up by February 2015. I'm now a solid climber and a veteran landscaper.

After living in Deutschland for three years, sprechen nur Deutsch, I'm starting to get a little homesick, and would like to find a way to be able to afford to spend a month in Ontario each year. Hence, the idea of a working vacation. Paid time off is no problem for me, due to our wicked 40 paid days off every year (I like to rub that one in to my buddies back home - suckers!), but airfare Frankfurt to Toronto for a family of six is a killer (Me, my wife, four little Germadians).

Ideally, I'd like to be in Peterborough and the Kawarthas, working 3 to 4 days a week (It's supposed to be a vacation, after all), with a crew that is both professional and fun. Muskoka or further east, like Prince Edward County would be cool too, but the GTA is definitely not my idea of a great place to spend a vacation. Probably be the month of August 2015, four weeks in total, that jives with school break and the slow period here. Leads on a loaner minivan and house would of course be a huge bonus, but I could tap into my contact network for those. Also of note, I`m a Canadian, so no special permits required, and I could swing a written reference from my boss here in Germany that could then be google translated (auf jedenfall nicht in Englisch geschrieben) to verify that I can indeed do the work competently.

What do you think folks, is it possible to make this idea work?

Back