Would there be a market for NZ turning blanks and R/S timber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Just curious. Every country has it's uniquely stunning wood. We are no exception. From 40,000 year old (and not petrified either) ancient Kauri to Rimu, Pohutukawa, Totora, Kahikatea, Matai, Puriri, Rata, etc. We really do have some fantastic timbers here. I'm starting to run out of room (that's code for 'someone is getting cranky') for the wooden gems I find that I don't already give away to local turning guilds and whilst I would have to check if it's actually allowed out of the country, I'd be delighted to see it going to some people overseas.

But I figure it would take almost the same amount of time and money to fulfil the phytosanitary requirements whether it be just a few figured pen blanks on a courier as it would for a whole 20' container. So I'm just wondering if there'd be enough interest for people to help me at least cover the costs of getting a 20' can to a US or Aussie port or wherever?

It's just a thought. Maybe not a good one, but heck we've got some stunning wood worth sharing. Perhaps we could even do a swap of sorts? I dunno, just thinking off the top of my head here.