WOW‼ 39°

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Pretty simple, really. Either the flue now stays much hotter - so creosote doesn't condense until it hits the open air, or the compounds that create creosote are being burned before they reach my chimney (and creating more heat IN the house).

Since I can assure you that the first option ain't happening, flue temps are 1/2 to 2/3 what they were with the old stove that created enough creosote to need cleaning 3-5 times per season, I have to assume it's the 2nd option.

Hope your brain stops twitching long enough to comprehend this. :D

Whitespider
We've got 17° right now (5:25 AM), it's dropped 3° in the last 15 minutes... 29 MPH sustained NW wind, gusting higher.
Temp is supposed to keep droppin' all day, still sayin' below zero by noon... warning of possible windchills 'round -40°.
And a chance for snow over the next few days... which is gonna' blow and drift bad if we do get it.
Yeah... gonna' be a long, cold next few days.

Just too darn nice yesterday, I didn't do anything with firewood. Cleaned-up some snow, opened-up the trails and roads in the wood lot, serviced some vehicles/equipment, shoveled-out the back of the 4×4... stuff like that. It was nice enough I never put a coat on all day, long-johns and heavy shirt was plenty. The little boy came out to help/play... I fired up his little Chinese ATV; he had a friggin' blast in/on the snow and ice. I sat there watchin' him for near a ½ hour... can't figure out who was having more fun, him riding or me watching. Late-afternoon I lit the stove in the shop so I could get everything melted-off and dry before the arctic blast hit... sat there and sucked up a six-pack to end the day.

Today?? Today is a nothing day... gonna' spend it in the house lookin' out'a the windows (provided they don't frost-over completely).
After yesterday I just can't bring myself to pile-on a bunch of clothes. But, ya' just never know... I could change my mind.

Bushmans

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
It was awesome here yesterday. All the ice has melted off the trees. Today looks to be around 33 with a little snow. Monday looks cold. I started a fire in the stove yest morn. Didnt touch it all day and went to bed without stoking it. It was only down to 66 this morn. 24 hours/6 splits. Love this weather.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Iska3

Iska3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey Spidey, The party is over.. Went to bed and the outside temp was still 24º with a light dusting of snow. Woke up at 4:00 AM and the outside temp was 2º; at 5:00AM it was -6º and some real nasty winds. I let the dog out for a nature call and she was back in before I could sweep off the deck.

It’s now -8 below and those winds are nasty... Get ready for a few days of nasty weather… Hope you took in a little extra wood. You might be needing it..

alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
49F here yesterday, Hate this dam warm weather. Last week end when it warmed we got ice and had to run the genset from 3 days. we got luck with that as I have a friend on the other side of the county that just got his power back last night a whole 7 days.
My England stove is working great to keep the house toasty warm even in the below zero wind chills we had a few weeks ago. I checked the chimney 3 day of December. Climbing on the roof was a waste of time as it was clean. We only ran the blower when we were having below zero wind chills so to push more heat to the far north west bed room.

:D Al

Whitespider
Naw... I ain't brought any more wood in yet.
I figure, even if temps stay frigid, I'm good 'til sometime February anyway.
Heck, ya' just never know... it could warm-up after the New Year and stay that way.

Temp is still droppin' fast right now though... 8:05 and I figure we'll be in single digits before I pour the next cup-o'-joe.
I looked out'a the window... it looks cold out there... screw that‼ I ain't goin' out there today.

Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
As the Minnesotan delegation has been saying, it's here, and headed straight for ya. Temp 7 below, wind sending it your way at 30+ MPH.

I got a couple chunks of cottonweed in the stove right now, cranking it back up to temp, then I'm gonna stuff it full of Ironwood and Maple. Diversity is good in the wood pile.

I'm trying to raise a couple friends (who may have been out celebrating the last day of summer too late last night) to go have breakfast at the local.