Yet another chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian VT

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
My saw came with Oregon 72V chain. It was smooth as butter and plenty fast for me but, being a newb and reading the posts here about how slow safety chain is, I decided to relegate the 72V to backup status and put on a "real" chain. The 72V had @ 8 tanks of gas and I filed it after each tank.
I tried my new 72DP today while felling and bucking a 22" dead ash tree. The semi-chisel chain felt very choppy. It was throwing good chips but was kinda rough and grabby and tiring to use and didn't seem any faster than the stocker. After a tank of gas I thought I'd hand file it in hopes that it'd smooth out. The 1st bite with the file was tough, like I was removing a burr from the grinding, so I had high hopes of a smoother cut. Nope. Still some chatter.
What to try next ?

Last edited:
Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Brian,

Aside from low-kickback features ('safety chain') there are differences in the the shapes of cutters, the size/type of saw they are designed for, the way that they are ground, and the type of wood they cut best in.

Look through the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual for specific information.
http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/tech_safety.htm

In my opinion, 'safety chain' is given a bum rap on this site, as you noted from your own experience. But if you really want to compare it to what you are using, you have to find another Oregon chain with the same cutter style.

Philbert

mikefunaro

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's possible that you have filed the cutters to different angles and or lengths. Do you freehand or have a jig? Is it also cutting to one side? Do you have any vernier calipers/any other instrument to measure with?

Brian VT

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
This chain was brand new, right out of the box. I did most of my cutting before ever touching it with a file. It was the same, or maybe just a little bit better, after filing but nowhere near as smooth as the stock chain. It cuts straight, it just feels rough.

Latest posts