Carb problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trains
Need a bit more history, how long has it sat since being last used, or did it just start doing this after running fine etc.

I would start with a carb clean and check the main delivery fuel nozzle (where the fuel enters the venturi ) for a stuck one way valve, dont use compressed air, you can damage them.
get some small vac hose, and place it on the metering side of the fuel delivery nozzle (once apart), and check you can blow thru it, but not suck back using your mouth.
Some fresh fuel, and a bit of movement back and forward will often get them unstuck.

Again, you have to start somewhere, so basics are, drain fuel if its old, put in fresh mix, if no help, check air filter, then take carb apart and clean, be careful with the gaskets and diaphragms, if you can, get a kit and have it as backup.

Pics of it apart will help too.

Romper

Romper

ArboristSite Lurker
Need a bit more history, how long has it sat since being last used, or did it just start doing this after running fine etc.

I would start with a carb clean and check the main delivery fuel nozzle (where the fuel enters the venturi ) for a stuck one way valve, dont use compressed air, you can damage them.
get some small vac hose, and place it on the metering side of the fuel delivery nozzle (once apart), and check you can blow thru it, but not suck back using your mouth.
Some fresh fuel, and a bit of movement back and forward will often get them unstuck.

Again, you have to start somewhere, so basics are, drain fuel if its old, put in fresh mix, if no help, check air filter, then take carb apart and clean, be careful with the gaskets and diaphragms, if you can, get a kit and have it as backup.

Pics of it apart will help too.
Sorry so long to get back. I am starting all over with your suggestions as well as a new carb. I could not get the rebuilt carb to flow. Maybe wrong gasket kit.
Thanks ahead of time I’ll let you know how it goes.

Romper

Romper

ArboristSite Lurker
Sorry so long to get back. I am starting all over with your suggestions as well as a new carb. I could not get the rebuilt carb to flow. Maybe wrong gasket kit.
Thanks ahead of time I’ll let you know how it goes.

Ok finally installed another Chicom carb and this one actually works with minimal tuning. The Husky is ready to go back to the owner. Thanks for your input.

Paul Bunions

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
I am a Chicom carb addict, but I am starting to think partial carb rebuilds with OEM kits are better. I got poor results with a sonic cleaner and gasoline. I got good results part of the time with CCP carbs. I just rebuilt an Echo 620P carb, and it really runs well now.

Paul Bunions

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
I got the idea of using gasoline from a Youtube channel called Steve's Small Engine Saloon. You put gasoline in a sealed container and put the container in a sonic cleaner full of water. Keeps the gas sealed up.

Doorfx

Doorfx

ArboristSite Operative
I got the idea of using gasoline from a Youtube channel called Steve's Small Engine Saloon. You put gasoline in a sealed container and put the container in a sonic cleaner full of water. Keeps the gas sealed up.
Have you ever witnessed a gas can expanding in the sun? Same thing happens in an ultrasonic cleaner, they create heat. I won’t put gas anywhere near my ultrasonic cleaner.

Doorfx

Doorfx

ArboristSite Operative
Have you ever witnessed a gas can expanding in the sun? Same thing happens in an ultrasonic cleaner, they create heat. I won’t put gas anywhere near my ultrasonic cleaner.

Internet forum theories are amazing. Then there is reality.
Heat doesn’t cause expansion ? Pretty sure that’s not an internet theory.

diver64

diver64

ArboristSite Operative
I don't think I would do that. A little Dawn in the water works wonders

buzz sawyer
One thing to remember about US cleaners - there are different power levels. Higher power levels cost more.
When you add items (i.e. jars of liquid), they absorb some of the power. Make sure you buy one with a power level high enough to do the job. Small inexpensive ones made primarily for jewelry are probably not strong enough to use with a container of solvent.

Paul Bunions

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
Long as I'm here, I will point out something people who work with trees might find interesting. A 50% solution of liquid laundry detergent will remove black residue from cutting tools that have gotten hot cutting wood. You leave them soaking overnight, and it falls right off. Oddly, I learned this from machinists.

I have no idea whether it will do anything with gas residue.

Husky77

Husky77

ArboristSite Operative
Long as I'm here, I will point out something people who work with trees might find interesting. A 50% solution of liquid laundry detergent will remove black residue from cutting tools that have gotten hot cutting wood. You leave them soaking overnight, and it falls right off. Oddly, I learned this from machinists.

I have no idea whether it will do anything with gas residue.
I know from experience laundy detergent can etch aluminium. I learned the hard way, so take care what your doing with it on a saw. You could be lucky and it work but your gambling and could ruin it. Good luck

Paul Bunions

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Operative
We're going from water slowly evaporating from the soil to imaginary explosions from peanut butter jars full of gasoline in 130-degree water.

If vapor pressure worked the way it has been suggested here, cars would explode when parked in the sun.

Clouds aren't caused by expansion. They are actually caused by condensation. Water vapor is invisible. If you can see it, it's not vapor.

Latest posts