Concerned about a large roots that were cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tk1289

tk1289

Hi there. I recently had my entire septic system replaced and the septic guys ran a septic line under a very large oak tree and cut some pretty large root(s) while doing so. I'm concerned about the size of the root(s) they cut and am wondering if I should be worried and what I can do about it, if anything, to make sure the tree stays healthy. I've attached pics of the line they ran and the biggest root they cut. They also cut some smaller ones but this one looks pretty concerning.
The line isn't very deep so the roots are somewhat shallow, maybe not even 2 feet deep at deepest.
Should I panic and what can I do to make sure I keep the tree healthy after the fact?

Attachments

• PXL_20240520_170750290.jpg
    PXL_20240520_170750290.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240520_170730301.jpg
    PXL_20240520_170730301.jpg
    899.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240520_170654817.jpg
    PXL_20240520_170654817.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240520_170643958.jpg
    PXL_20240520_170643958.jpg
    883.8 KB · Views: 0
ElevatorGuy

ElevatorGuy

Yota’s and John Deere green!
. AS Supporting Member.
It’s going to die, When or rather how long is the question. I had a large red oak and a 60ish foot white oak that were disturbed like that when I had our septic system done at my last house. Septic guy said it would be fine, We do it all the time… Yeah, 5 years later I had a $2500 crane tree job.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
. AS Supporting Member.
The question is: Why dig there?

Your septic guy has screwed up and has left themselves liable, even if the old terracotta line was in that ditch, it shouldn't have been dug up. A new line installed further from the tree would have been a lot better.

All torn off roots need to be 'cleaned up' with good pruning cuts. Mulch the root zone area to cut down on nutrient and water competition from the lawn. Make sure the tree gets it's required water. Make sure no further soil compaction happens on the tree side of the 'ditch'. That large root sticking our of the ground may be broken further back so some careful hand digging is required to find that break, if it exist. If not broken put that large back to the depth that it was before the 'disturbance'. Amend the soil some that goes back into the 'ditch'. Look into soil aeration with organics placed in washed in holes including mycorrhizal supplements. Keep all foot and lawn mowing traffic out of the root zone area.

Be sure to post the arborist recommendations that you receive.

I believe that tree has a good chance of survival if the best techniques are applied.

You need an ISA BCMA, Board Certified Master Arborist.

Just any ole arborist likely isn't up to the challenge. Look for an arborist that takes bringing this tree back in good standing as a challenge, not one who is challenged by the task at hand.

Realize that when you find the right arborist that you are going to hear some some philosophy along with up to date agricultural science. It takes time to do such a task and time is money.

If the 'consultation' is free, you are likely dealing with a 'not the best in their field' arborist.

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm catching up on old posts...any follow-up after arborist visit?

Questions:
1) If the tree falls will it hit anything?
2) How bad is oak wilt in your area?
3) Did they actually cut any roots or just rip them with the excavator?

The "anchoring" roots - those most important for holding the tree in place are the most concerning to cut. Even if the tree can survive the water stress, if it blows over because nothing is holding it in place, that's a problem. As a "rule of thumb" if you measure the circumference of the tree, then measure that same distance away from the trunk, that's where the anchoring roots are. It looks like they've cut inside that zone... If there is something the tree would hit when it falls, decisions get more difficult from there. You either remove a tree that looks healthy and may recover well, or you leave a tree that you know had it's anchor cut and may fall on _______ .

If its left, yes, mulch. Supplemental watering. Possibly a tree growth regulator which encourages root growth.

My money says you'll be fine. The trench was far enough away that new roots will regenerate and you'll be healthy in no time. I did that at my own house around a maple and it's alive like nothing ever happened. We installed a septic system and other jobs site tasks around a huge siberian elm. Almost all the roots were cut about 15 feet away from the trunk all the way around for one reson or another. Tree stands today as if nothing ever happened and that was about 20 years ago.

Latest posts