Dead Stihl ms180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the saw ran great all day, so far so good. We had a tornado attack Monday morning. I had about 50 or so trees down in my yard so chainsaws and my tractor have gotten a workout. No to mention my back. I ran 2 tanks of gas through it, no problems. Maybe it just needed exercise. Thanks for the help! I attached a before and after of my back yard. I'll be working on this mess for years.View attachment 1178316View attachment 1178317
WOW! Sure hope your house received no damage. That's too close for comfort. :cool: OT

As I wrote in this thread, the carburetor in MS 180 does not have the ability to adjust the mixture for either idle or full throttle. Do you guys even read what others write here?
Hope we didn't get your shorts in a wad. Not disputing what you say, as Stihl corroborates that, but honestly, I don't think I have ever worked on a 170 or 180 that didn't have an adjustable carb. That leaves the only possibility that the carbs had already been changed out from factory new before it came to my shop. :cool: OT

Hope we didn't get your shorts in a wad. Not disputing what you say, as Stihl corroborates that, but honestly, I don't think I have ever worked on a 170 or 180 that didn't have an adjustable carb. That leaves the only possibility that the carbs had already been changed out from factory new before it came to my shop. :cool: OT
No worries... I think it is very unlikely that the OP has had its carburetor changed from the factory one to one with adjustability. Therefore, the situation cannot be improved by turning the screws.

One more possibility came to my mind for this behavior of the saw. It is theoretically possible that the choke linkage does not work as it should and the choke plate does not open completely. This is unlikely assuming that the OP acquired the saw new. But if it has been smoking like this from the beginning, then some cause must exist.

WOW! Sure hope your house received no damage. That's too close for comfort. :cool: OT
Luckily no damage to house. One whole end of the house is covered with leaves and pine straw that was plastered on by the wind. Gutters are completely filled with the same thing. Tree trunks driven 3-4 feet in the ground. Etc., etc. Pretty scary stuff. I've never been afraid of the weather before but I'm getting that way,

Tornado cleanup continues. I've been using the saw a lot. It fouls the plug about every 1 to 2 hours without fail. Since the carb on this saw is virtually unadjustable I'm considering trying a hotter spark plug. What do you guys think about this plan?

Tornado cleanup continues. I've been using the saw a lot. It fouls the plug about every 1 to 2 hours without fail. Since the carb on this saw is virtually unadjustable I'm considering trying a hotter spark plug. What do you guys think about this plan?
I would be against it, because it will not eliminate the problem. Have you checked the things that were mentioned in this thread?

Well, I've started from page 1 and read the entire thread again. At this point I am leaning towards the metering lever in the carb being out of adjustment from day one. Nobody has mentioned that possibility to this point with the exception of Lone Wolf asking if the carb was set to factory specs. Being off an rch could be causing the rich mixture. jmho :cool: OT

Well, I've started from page 1 and read the entire thread again. At this point I am leaning towards the metering lever in the carb being out of adjustment from day one. Nobody has mentioned that possibility to this point with the exception of Lone Wolf asking if the carb was set to factory specs. Being off an rch could be causing the rich mixture. jmho :cool: OT
From the description of the problem, this is the conclusion that it must be this type of manufacturing defect. It is a little strange that the unit managed to pass the quality control at the factory. But then again, this may just be that "extremely rare" case.

1716986701409.png

From the description of the problem, this is the conclusion that it must be this type of manufacturing defect. It is a little strange that the unit managed to pass the quality control at the factory. But then again, this may just be that "extremely rare" case.

View attachment 1180436
I have also done a quick search of MS 180 smoking problems. Not as much an extremely rare case as one might think. Lots of them out there it seems.
And their quality control I believe to be just a bunch of words. I doubt that every saw is fueled, oiled and tested. Every saw I have ever purchased had absolutely no hint of fuel or oil ever being in it. Just saying. :cool: OT

I have also done a quick search of MS 180 smoking problems. Not as much an extremely rare case as one might think. Lots of them out there it seems.
And their quality control I believe to be just a bunch of words. I doubt that every saw is fueled, oiled and tested. Every saw I have ever purchased had absolutely no hint of fuel or oil ever being in it. Just saying. :cool: OT
Yeh, they probably test one of every however many off the line. No way each is tested. No practical reason to.
I'd throw a new carb on it.

I had the same problems with a Stihl 180, running too rich and or flooding while still under warranty. The dealer never got it fixed right so I bought a cheap ebay carb about 8 years ago. Saw runs good but every now and then will be hard to restart when hot, so got a new 261C to take it's place.

Just re-read this thread. The piston looks fine and everything else sounds fine apart from the smoking, which is pretty unusual. I agree the carb needs attention. Id either learn to service it yourself with a carb kit, ask someone else to do it or buy an OEM carb. Most MS180s will die from misfuel/piston issues rather than the carbs, so there are lots of carbs available second hand.

These carbs with 1 adjustment, are dependent on a fixed jet for mix. A screw in jet is for the high side.All correct on the lever high being crucial. Would be interested what size jet is in the carb. A new carb (or good used) might still be your best bet.
As far as suggestions of a two adjustment carb, a lot of work drilling holes in the handle to repair something that works fine on thousands (or millions) of these saws.

These carbs with 1 adjustment, are dependent on a fixed jet for mix. A screw in jet is for the high side.All correct on the lever high being crucial. Would be interested what size jet is in the carb. A new carb (or good used) might still be your best bet.
As far as suggestions of a two adjustment carb, a lot of work drilling holes in the handle to repair something that works fine on thousands (or millions) of these saws.
Yeh, I've had a replacement carb with H and L screws in the pile for a year or so now. It's ran so well for 5 years with a $20 aftermarket Ebay carb I'm afraid to mess with it.

Test your coil; if it's not sparking properly it can cause the fuel to not burn off properly and then cause plug to be fouled.
A failing coil can also cause the saw to stall once it has got hot.
It could also well be the non-adjustable carb and/or a gummed up carb from not being stored properly after not being used for a while.
Or it could be your fuel/oil ratio or the type/brand of oil you are using. What ratio and what oil are you using?

Saws are designed to not idle for too long.....they need to be used at full throttle otherwise you will quickly get carbon build-up from incomplete combustion.

Also, if you ever flood it, quick fix is to take out the plug clean the fuel off the plug then pull the starter cord a few times, this should expel any fuel straight away out of the plug port, so no need to let it sit overnight.

Latest posts

Back