Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is basically the only reason I have a CC. In theory my debit card has the same fraud protection, but I'd rather their fraud dept be working to get their money back, not my money back.

Plus cash back.

The flip side is some vendors/stores are starting to pass the 2.5-4% charge it costs them to run a card onto the purchaser, which then is a loss.

Plus cash back.

The flip side is some vendors/stores are starting to pass the 2.5-4% charge it costs them to run a card onto the purchaser, which then is a loss.

Merchants have always passed the cost on, just like they do with every single penny of every single other cost they incur to do business.

Merchants have always passed the cost on, just like they do with every single penny of every single other cost they incur to do business.
Good point. So I guess they're tacking it on doubly, then. More and more signs appearing saying they are adding that cost on to the final total.

This is basically the only reason I have a CC. In theory my debit card has the same fraud protection

In theory maybe, in reality -- not so much. My GF worked in banks for many years, and she said she would NEVER accept a debit card, only a straight ATM card. She claimed that you don't have anywhere near the protection with a debit card as you have with either a straight ATM card or a straight credit card.

There must be some big incentive for banks to issue debit cards instead of straight ATM cards, because in my experience the people at banks will argue with you over it, until you say, "Look, my GF has worked at several banks, and she says you should NOT have a debit card because it has less protection ... do you dispute this?"

After that, they generally shut their traps and begrudgingly give you an ATM card.

Should of bought a stihl sticker and slapped that sucker on there and all the problems woulda been fixed lol also I believe farmertec holzfforma and seems like there's another one I can't think of it's name but all 3 are pretty much the same just different names and colors also black max and hyper tough are the exact same saws just black max is black and hyper is red and black but they got the same build and style and everything and then if anyone has ever been on temu there's those chinese 50 60 cc saws that are like 90 bucks there all the same but if you want a good chinese saw....chainsaw chainsaw is a good one and pinkway

Guilty of tresson has a video on both

This is basically the only reason I have a CC. In theory my debit card has the same fraud protection, but I'd rather their fraud dept be working to get their money back, not my money back.
Exactly! I've heard, and understand the argument against credit cards and for debit cards. In general practice, I agree with that argument. However, using a debit card doesn't save me money on a purchase, and when someone hacks your debit card, they steel money directly out of your account and you bear the responsibility of getting it back. If someone is going to steel money, I'd rather they steel it from devil (ie credit card companies) instead of steeling it from me because the budget for my legal team isn't nearly as big as the budget for his.

There must be some big incentive for banks to issue debit cards instead of straight ATM cards, because in my experience the people at banks will argue with you over it, until you say, "Look, my GF has worked at several banks, and she says you should NOT have a debit card because it has less protection ... do you dispute this?"

After that, they generally shut their traps and begrudgingly give you an ATM card.
I've never had any argument from them. They offer me a debit card, and I say no. They start to tell me how great it is, and I tell them I don't want their (add favorite 4 letter word here) debit card, and that pretty much ends the conversation. I don't offer an explanation why because I don't owe them an explanation. My no means no. If they ask for a reason, I bluntly tell them INOYDB.

Some people were saying buy a used one OEM saw. That isn't always a viable option. In my area (Oregon) you can't find a saw for less than a farmtec. Example. I am on Facebook market place daily. I have been looking for a ms460. I can't find one for less than 500. Where I can get a g466 for around 300ish. Do I know I could wind up with a junker? Absolutely. I won't buy from fleabay or Amazon. I will buy from a state side distributor. Namely Bluesaws. I had a g388 that I had zero issues with. Put in an oem plug and chain tensioner. My only grip was the air filter was trash. Broke in at 25:1 for a tank, 32:1, for a few more tanks and then 50:1 using redarmor premix. I am just an average Joe so no production use, strictly firewood. I hate the bashing of these saws. I really do. Don't like them, don't buy one. Simple.

My only input to this rather wide ranging thread is, you will never find a gook saw on my bench and be aware that Amazon is really biased in their reviews, IOW, if a review don't meet their criteria or in other words don't praise the product, they won't publish it. I know all too well from experience. I bought a set of aftermarket poly blades for my Stihl FS66 brushcutter because the OEM blades were stupid expensive but in retrospect I should have just bought the OEM blades because the aftermarket ones I purchased (Chinese) were total junk so I got the OEM ones anyway.

When I tried to leave a review, Amazon kicked it, not once, but 3 times. If I buy anything off Amazon now, I don't waste my time with a review. I rarely do as most of the stuff they offer (especially the cheaper stuff) is junk anyway.

I used to think that Harbor Freight was biased in their reviews, they aren't at all. They will publish the good, the bad and the horrible without malice.

Finally, cheap is cheap and with most everything cheap, you usually get what you paid for.

My only input to this rather wide ranging thread is, you will never find a gook saw on my bench and be aware that Amazon is really biased in their reviews, IOW, if a review don't meet their criteria or in other words don't praise the product, they won't publish it. I know all too well from experience. I bought a set of aftermarket poly blades for my Stihl FS66 brushcutter because the OEM blades were stupid expensive but in retrospect I should have just bought the OEM blades because the aftermarket ones I purchased (Chinese) were total junk so I got the OEM ones anyway.

When I tried to leave a review, Amazon kicked it, not once, but 3 times. If I buy anything off Amazon now, I don't waste my time with a review. I rarely do as most of the stuff they offer (especially the cheaper stuff) is junk anyway.

I used to think that Harbor Freight was biased in their reviews, they aren't at all. They will publish the good, the bad and the horrible without malice.

Finally, cheap is cheap and with most everything cheap, you usually get what you paid for.
I leave bad reviews all the time on amazon with 1 star and explain the issues, drives the chinese sellers bonkers too.... fkm

In theory maybe, in reality -- not so much. My GF worked in banks for many years, and she said she would NEVER accept a debit card, only a straight ATM card. She claimed that you don't have anywhere near the protection with a debit card as you have with either a straight ATM card or a straight credit card.

Which is why a guy should never keep much money in their checking account and make sure over draft protection is shut off.

I'm satisfied with my G660, as well as my FF541R trimmer. I'll likely give their backpack blower and may end up with a few of their smaller saws. That said, I realize its a crap shoot, and I understand what I'm buying.

The lesson to learn with all of this is that if you think you might be buying a piece of crap, be quick to contact your CC company and put a hold on the payment until the issue is resolved. The CC companies are pure evil in my book. They make 4% on everything, and they've almost got it to the point where its going to be a challenge to find a place to spend actual cash. They have a huge legal team, and are more than happy to lure in the young, inexperienced folks and straddle them with dept. that they may not ever be able to work their way out of. So, if I'm dealing with someone who might be questionable, I'm going to use the CC company as my buffer/insurance policy. Call the customer service number on the back of your CC and ask them how the process works before you begin the purchase process. If something goes wrong and you have to use them to get your money back, be the squeaky wheel. Be kind, be respectful, and when you've reached the end of what the person on the phone can do, move up another rung on their food chain. Write down names and numbers as you go. After you reach the 2nd or 3rd rung of the food chain, the customer support actually gets really good. Everyone below that is designed to prevent or deter customers from bothering people who know enough and have enough authority to actually help you resolve an actual issue.
thanks for your input it was very good and to the point

I bought 2 G660s during the scamdemic, as I couldn't get 2 661s. put ones as my CSM saw and the other on my Lewis winch, but I did buy them thru a Wagner that is a dealer for $350 ea. and they claim, they go over them and test run them to make sure they run. and I ain't had any issues with em yet, other than throttle linkage sticking as I go too long on cleanings, so saw dust jams in there.

I bought 2 G660s during the scamdemic, as I couldn't get 2 661s. put ones as my CSM saw and the other on my Lewis winch, but I did buy them thru a Wagner that is a dealer for $350 ea. and they claim, they go over them and test run them to make sure they run. and I ain't had any issues with em yet, other than throttle linkage sticking as I go too long on cleanings, so saw dust jams in there.
Something I never do. All my saws get at least a blow off (with a low pressure air nozzle) after every use. To me, a clean saw is a happy saw. Same applies to my farm equipment, but then I am a clean freak anyway. One thing I never, never wash is my hay equipment. They get blown off and serviced and put away until the next time.

Something I never do. All my saws get at least a blow off (with a low pressure air nozzle) after every use. To me, a clean saw is a happy saw. Same applies to my farm equipment, but then I am a clean freak anyway. One thing I never, never wash is my hay equipment. They get blown off and serviced and put away until the next time.
I do on my Stihls, on this G660 I was curious on longevity, but after 4 yrs still running strong.filter.jpgG660MUf.jpg

You depended on YouTube for "honest" reviews, so put one up yourself. Don't just put up a long rant about ChiCom junk ...document objectively. Tear the saw down on camera and explain your negative experiences. Remember, one well presented negative review is probably noticed much more than dozens of gushing (sales) reviews. When I do internet research for any product that I am considering buying, I always include the word 'problems' in the search description.
The only reviews I trust are from long standing channels where the guy buys it himself ( like Project Farm and the recommended stuff is all over the place) or people who make it clear the item was sent by a viewer or manu for testing (Wranglestar and his HF winch review. Broke it doesn't recommend it).

I've had good luck with the Chinese stuff so far. Seems to run ok for the use I need and parts are cheap. Carbs are hit or miss. One lawnmower runs like OEM, the other works but you have to play with the choke.

Sorry on your saw. Good lesson here. If you get something don't delay checking it over and immediately contact the seller to establish a timeline. Few problems I had when I contacted the seller they immediately offered a refund, send it back or offered a new one no charge and keep the defective. Never had one act like what you experienced as Amazon or eBay are way to important to their business to mess with.

Absolutely. Do not use a debit card for anything other than groceries or gas. CC for all purchases or PayPal/ CC online if you use it.

(Wranglestar and his HF winch review. Broke it doesn't recommend it).

Cody looked like he didn't tighten the winch down to the mount properly in that video. Too many other folks who abuse those winches day in and day out in a commercial setting and have zero issues for me to believe Wranglerstar.

Mine has also been perfect, although it's only been used a few times.

Back