Stihl 261cm, I need some help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihlproincky

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
If it was mine it would have got a new cylinder, surely y'all understand that I have to do what the customer wants, even if its not the right way. If I told him $350 he'd balked and said bad things about me, just trying to preserve my reputation, at the same token it's not gonna last very long as it is.

huskydave

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
That piston is toast, wow. I would be worried about the crank bearings. The cylinder may be ovaled out a lot after that much heat. Re-using it is not wise imho. The popping could be an exhaust backfire or the ignition timing may be off slightly. Those are the only things I could think of that would do it. The saw may have a bad air leak somewhere and its trying to compensate by feeding it too much fuel. That saw got really hot, I would inspect the clutch for heat damage/stress, sometimes they turn blue when mr homeowner runs the pro saws with a dull chain.

huskydave

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
Best thing to do is be very honest. I usually say to a customer, you have a couple options I can fix this properly but it will cost x amount of dollars and take x amount of time but it will be reliable after the work and you can trust it or you can buy a new piece of equipment for x amount of dollars and then I would say if this were mine I would do this and tell them the truth. I usually give friends and family 2 hours free labor and anything after that I start charging for my labor and I give them a break on the parts cost. If I don't think something is worth a lot of money and it needs a bunch of parts. I will take a non refundable deposit before touching it. Some people will pay to have a sentimental item fixed properly. The other way to go is find a good used item for them and just charge a small finders fee but again tell them this item is used and I can't tell you how long it will last, it could last 10 hours or 10 years.

Stihlproincky

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
Hey guys, so I got this tester to test that 261 we were talking about, so I hooked it up pulled the saw 10-12 times and it said 60psi. So out of curiosity I checked some of my other saws and they only when to 60psi, I did check the gauge with my air compressor to verify it worked. So is this the wrong tool for the job? Or am I doing something wrong? Tried pulling the saws at different speeds too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240528_190501_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240528_190501_Chrome.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 0
huskydave

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mityvac MV5520 is a good one that won't break the bank. The MV8500 is a good leak down tester also. I don't have experience with the cheaper ones. It might be good but I can't really say for sure. My experience with compression testers is they all read slightly different but should be close unless you have a leak at a fitting or from the hose. Matco Snap-on and Mac make excellent testers (more accurate) but they are pricey.

thompsoncustom

thompsoncustom

ArboristSite Operative
Does you compression tester have a Schrader valve in the end of it where it screws into the spark plug hole? That is a must for testing these small engines not gonna work if it doesn't. If it does pull it out and see what color the band on it is and it probably isn't the right one for small engines anyways.

Stihlproincky

Stihlproincky

ArboristSite Operative
Does you compression tester have a Schrader valve in the end of it where it screws into the spark plug hole? That is a must for testing these small engines not gonna work if it doesn't. If it does pull it out and see what color the band on it is and it probably isn't the right one for small engines anyways.
No... it's got one up next to the gauge, any recommendations on where I can get the one I need?

huskydave

Addicted to ArboristSite
The one I listed has the valve, you need this for smaller 2 stroke engines. This eliminates the extra volume in the hose. (Mityvac MV5520) you can order online or get one at OReilly auto parts. Cost is around $50.00. The leak down tester (Mityvac 8500) does vaccuum and pressure, cost is around $90.00. They are decent quality and won't break the bank.

Latest posts