Stihl MS251C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smcowboy1974

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello I just acquired a nice almost like new 251 from a friend. The recoil screw for the chain break on the housing is missing 1141 790 6101, which I need. It's an M5 by what?
Also I gave it a few pulls and then it just quit working. You pull and there's no resistance? I know its the EZ start. Haven't pulled the recoil yet. Any help on what size screw I need would be great please, and any thoughts on why there's no resistance on the recoil when I pull. Can hear something spinning when I pull, but nothing engages. Thank you very much.

It seems strange you have the part number but not the M5x??. I wanted a screw one time, and it was 28mm long, (determined by text in the parts sheet) a size not in the box of little compartments at the Stihl/Deere place. There are pawls and other things, I got the non easy start version but likely you can take off the recoil part and bring it into a dealer, maybe a silver one they have different color coding for the dealers I believe.

It seems strange you have the part number but not the M5x??. I wanted a screw one time, and it was 28mm long, (determined by text in the parts sheet) a size not in the box of little compartments at the Stihl/Deere place. There are pawls and other things, I got the non easy start version but likely you can take off the recoil part and bring it into a dealer, maybe a silver one they have different color coding for the dealers I believe.
I found a parts diagram that gives you the number but not the length of the M5 screw

Sounds like you over wound the starter spring pulling multiple times before it was able to kick the engine over and broke the spring. Locate the beg for manuals thread and request the ipl and service manuals or take it to the dealer and get it repaired.

Hello I just acquired a nice almost like new 251 from a friend. The recoil screw for the chain break on the housing is missing 1141 790 6101, which I need. It's an M5 by what?
There is NO length given because this is a special screw assembly with a built-in "cup" that goes into the brake flag. Get the correct part from your dealer.

Latest posts

Back