Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/51FYT-sST-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/51FYT-sST-M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Any thing I should look for?

A good bullet proof garden tractor is a John Deere 318 or a Ingersol Rand 3014. I have a Ingersol as my mower and it is a good mower.

For working around my property I have a Massey 164. (I think that is the number, a 64 horse gas.)

For the heavy work I get the John Deere 7820, and if I need a good stump puller I get out the 9400.

A good bullet proof garden tractor is a John Deere 318 or a Ingersol Rand 3014. I have a Ingersol as my mower and it is a good mower.

For working around my property I have a Massey 164. (I think that is the number, a 64 horse gas.)

For the heavy work I get the John Deere 7820, and if I need a good stump puller I get out the 9400.

You gonna make the big auction on the 1st?

Buncha IH stuff, even a 44' and 48 "H", and a 75' 200.

I'm gonna need someone to club me when bidding goes stupid..

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What do you think about a IH 125 cub cadet. I have a guy in the neihbor hood that is selling one and it cuts pretty nice.

I've got a 125 hydrostat and it's a neat old tractor. I used to use it to pull my Vermeer 630a stump grinder around in yards. I bought a John Deere 265 with a 54 in mower and it's way better for cutting and towing than the old 125. I paid $1400 for the 265 and it looks and runs like brand new.

I do a couple farm and equipment auctions every year. The 125's usually sell for about 3-4 hundrerd in good running condition. Sometimes with a couple attachments. A 124 sold at the last sale for $325 with a 48" mower and a snow plow. It sounded nice and no smoke. Those old 12hp kohlers were good enginines, Joe.

Here's a picture of my 265 with the old IH in the back ground, Joe.
001-12.jpg

My son has an old cub cadet model 100, for fun we have set it up to pull logs. If you are handy you can make a sled or log lift that will get the end of the log out of the dirt. His has R-4 ags on it, some extra weight, and it will pull an oak 8' and 12" in dia(if you look up log arch the advantage is huge). If you have to resort to the creeper it might just be too much.

The old gravely tractors are great pullers too. With the engine in the rear they have plenty of traction.

If you can find an old farmall or Ford N series you will have no problem pulling, but remember not to mow if wet. The front tires will usually leave you nice little indents in the yard. For the record, I picked up an old Ford 9N that needed some work and stayed under your $1000 budget even with repairs I did myself.

As far as older farm tractors go, the Ford 2,8 and 9N's are usually in a decent price range, but if you get one make sure it either has liquid ballast or get some for it. They are very light tractors and need as much traction as possible. I suggest Rim-Guard if you can get it. The Massey TO-30 is basically the same tractor with a Contenential engine. Some of the older Massey-Harris stuff can be had on the cheap and are decent machines. As far as the Cockshutt stuff, if you can find them, parts are getting hard to find for the Cockshutt made tractors, after 1961 they were mostly Olivers painted Vermillion red and Cream, with one model being built by Minneapolis-Moline and I think is the same as a Jetstar 3. You might find some older Olivers in that range, 60, 70, 66, 77, 660, 770, and some of the small utility machines built by Fiat.
IH's, if it has Fast Hitch pass it up, they can be a nightmare to hook up to Fast Hitch implements. Their cast iron sucked too, really weak and of poor quality in general. Good runners though. JD, well......I doubt you will find many under 1000$. If you do it's probably going to be a 2 cylinder, nuff said.
Allis-Chalmers WD's can be low cost and there is a ton of parts out there for them. They will out pull a 8N by quite a margin. The Snap-Coupler hitch can be a little tricky, but not the task that Fast Hitch is. Most of the mentioned brands are now owned by AGCO, Allis-Chalmers, Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, Cockshutt, White, Massey-Ferguson/Harrison, so parts could be bought through your local AGCO dealer.

Good luck with your purchase, JJuday

As far as older farm tractors go, the Ford 2,8 and 9N's are usually in a decent price range, but if you get one make sure it either has liquid ballast or get some for it. They are very light tractors and need as much traction as possible. I suggest Rim-Guard if you can get it. The Massey TO-30 is basically the same tractor with a Contenential engine. Some of the older Massey-Harris stuff can be had on the cheap and are decent machines. As far as the Cockshutt stuff, if you can find them, parts are getting hard to find for the Cockshutt made tractors, after 1961 they were mostly Olivers painted Vermillion red and Cream, with one model being built by Minneapolis-Moline and I think is the same as a Jetstar 3. You might find some older Olivers in that range, 60, 70, 66, 77, 660, 770, and some of the small utility machines built by Fiat.
IH's, if it has Fast Hitch pass it up, they can be a nightmare to hook up to Fast Hitch implements. Their cast iron sucked too, really weak and of poor quality in general. Good runners though. JD, well......I doubt you will find many under 1000$. If you do it's probably going to be a 2 cylinder, nuff said.
Allis-Chalmers WD's can be low cost and there is a ton of parts out there for them. They will out pull a 8N by quite a margin. The Snap-Coupler hitch can be a little tricky, but not the task that Fast Hitch is. Most of the mentioned brands are now owned by AGCO, Allis-Chalmers, Oliver, Minneapolis-Moline, Cockshutt, White, Massey-Ferguson/Harrison, so parts could be bought through your local AGCO dealer.

Good luck with your purchase, JJuday

:agree2:Good post ,good info.

Beefie

Gravely Rider
8000 series
16hp

Indestructable
Lots of parts sources
Lots of demand to always sell for at least what you have in it or more

I have a 1973 Gravely 816 with Onan 16 hp engine. It makes a GREAT firewood hauling tractor. I have 2 trailers for it. One large one for flat trails and a smaller trailer for in the woods and on hills. It is small enough to go under trees and thru the woods, but heavy and powerful enough to haule big loads.

My picture of dragging a log and mowing a yard with the same tractor doesn't compute for your budget. This is an old thread and what a thousand dollars would by then you better double. My suggest is get a mule to mow the grass and it can drag a log. I am talking the four-legged kind.

Latest posts

Back