Bur Oak in front yard?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete strouth

Reaction score
Does a Bur oak make sense in a front yard ? I am thinking of trimming it up off the ground to keep the park view across the street . It will be 40 ft. from the house and about 30 ft. from power lines on the road side and 60 ft. to the road.

I am trying to send a pic to show the intended spot but it said Arborist Site.com was not a valid site .Not sure what I did wrong

Does a Bur oak make sense in a front yard ? I am thinking of trimming it up off the ground to keep the park view across the street . It will be 40 ft. from the house and about 30 ft. from power lines on the road side and 60 ft. to the road.
But Oak is a great tree. Big,sweet acorns for wildlife and highly edible for humans. Full cool shade keeps the ground cooler beneath in summer heat . Is a slowish grower. Disadvantages in a yard would be walking and mowing on the acorns and biggish leaves to rake up. I am certain the root system can get large, but most other trees do also I believe. I take the advantages over disadvantages in my desires. Leaves and acorns can be raked up if a problem. Strategic location can keep the acorns from being much of a problem also. About 30 years ago I planted a bur oak in a corner of a wind break where my parents drive way meets the road figuring the trunk could be pruned and kept clean keeping vision open at the end of the driveway. The leaves and acorns aren't a menace there either that I know of, most leaves blow under the windbreak trees. I haven't noticed acorns yet. It's a beautiful young tree, hope my brother doesn't cut it down. He doesn't have much respect for trees and loves his high dollar equipment to the point he cringes at the thought of scratching it.
A couple alternative trees in the same area is what I like to do so if the primary doesn't work well, something else is growing there when it's took out. If you don't let them get huge before thinning the stand when you want down to 1 tree it's usually simple enough and you get some firewood.

But Oak is a great tree. Big,sweet acorns for wildlife and highly edible for humans. Full cool shade keeps the ground cooler beneath in summer heat . Is a slowish grower. Disadvantages in a yard would be walking and mowing on the acorns and biggish leaves to rake up. I am certain the root system can get large, but most other trees do also I believe. I take the advantages over disadvantages in my desires. Leaves and acorns can be raked up if a problem. Strategic location can keep the acorns from being much of a problem also. About 30 years ago I planted a bur oak in a corner of a wind break where my parents drive way meets the road figuring the trunk could be pruned and kept clean keeping vision open at the end of the driveway. The leaves and acorns aren't a menace there either that I know of, most leaves blow under the windbreak trees. I haven't noticed acorns yet. It's a beautiful young tree, hope my brother doesn't cut it down. He doesn't have much respect for trees and loves his high dollar equipment to the point he cringes at the thought of scratching it.
A couple alternative trees in the same area is what I like to do so if the primary doesn't work well, something else is growing there when it's took out. If you don't let them get huge before thinning the stand when you want down to 1 tree it's usually simple enough and you get some firewood.
Do you think it will be to crowded in the area

When they are small , not. When limbs and leaves start touching the next tree , they are beginning to crowd. If 3 sides of a tree are getting sun they generally are doing well. Where the sun don't shine, limbs die and that's nature's way of self pruning and thinning the stands of multiple trees . If you want 3 total healthy trees 50 years from now , it would take a large area. Would take a small fraction of space for the next 10 years. When they get to crowding, select the keepers and remove the less desirable manually verses waiting for nature's slower processing. Then years down the road you might need to go to 1, especially if it is a small area. The shorter time the less desirables are there you will have their shade and whatever they have to offer for that length of time and your keepers just last longer and get more magnificent with time.

Latest posts

Back