Chippers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETER GIBBS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Please help. I live in the UK and I want to buy a chipper. Does anybody know about a machine called Arbor plant TR150 (Tracked chipper)?

Also I'm thinking about Eco-Chip 150DD made by Green Mech Ltd. or are there other tracked chippers I should consider?

Is there something that will fit in the back of a hatch-back car?
If so would this be a wise investment or a waste of money? Or
would it be better to buy a large machine from the off?

Can the large machines be pulled by a normal car?

Is it really worth spending the big bucks needed for a chipper?

"Can the large machines be pulled by a normal car? "
Why would you want to pull a commercial chipper with a car? Gonna chip into the trunk?
Not familiar with the chippers mentioned, but a typical 6" drum chipper will weigh about 3000 lbs. Disc chippers weigh more.

Anything small enough to fit in your hatchback would be good for turning a couple cans of twigs into compost, not much more.

Last edited:
There are a few tracked chippers on the market, but theyre about twice the price of a normal trailer chipper. A timberwolf (based on the entec 135 diesel, I think) plus special trailer to allow it to be towed and fed from a truck, would set you back around £20,000.I though that one of those would be great if you do a lot of work where the chips could be sprayed back onto the ground. If you can persuade the garden owner to keep the chips for mulch. It would be good where access is a problem. However, the cost of ownership is immense. You have to allow for £2,000 per year in just depreciation (assuming the thing's going to last 10 years) then add on all the other operating costs. I think you have to be certain you have the work to keep her going before you splash out. If access is a problem on any site, the tracked chipper is OK - but you can hire a tractor with a PTO chipper for £150/day for those sort of sites. You could only justify buying your tracked chipper if most of your work was on sites where you cannot get any other type of chipper near (eg. steep banks, over muddy fields, canal towpaths, etc)

Latest posts

Back