Stihl 192T primer bulb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purdyite

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes or no question.
Replaced the primer bulb on my 192T. Starts and runs ok. But the primer bulb doesn't fill with fuel--looking at the tubes, it has an odd fuel routing from the tank, to the carb, to the primer bulb and back to the tank. It's as if the bulb only provides suction and the fuel doesn't have to go through it. Should it fill with fuel or not? Should I even worry about it? On other saws, if I don't see fuel in the bulb then I don't have a sealed fuel hose somewhere.

Yes or no question.
Replaced the primer bulb on my 192T. Starts and runs ok. But the primer bulb doesn't fill with fuel--looking at the tubes, it has an odd fuel routing from the tank, to the carb, to the primer bulb and back to the tank. It's as if the bulb only provides suction and the fuel doesn't have to go through it. Should it fill with fuel or not? Should I even worry about it? On other saws, if I don't see fuel in the bulb then I don't have a sealed fuel hose somewhere.
Yes, it should fill with fuel. Be sure the fuel lines are connected up right. And, something could be blocked up or a fuel line could be crimped.

As noted, it SHOULD fill with fuel as it sucks fuel out of the carb and pumps it back into the tank, there are two built in check valves in the primer to keep fuel moving in the right direction. If it doesn't fill with fuel, could be a faulty primer, a leak in the fuel supply line or one of the two carb check valves not sealing. If the main nozzle check valve isn't sealing it will cause serious problems with idle fuel. If the check valve in the floor of the fuel chamber is leaking, it's not serious as it's only purpose is to allow the primer to function. Any problems with the primer can be resolved by blocking the fuel line from the carb to the primer to disable it. If the saw has a good choke, you don't need the primer, you will just have to pull the starter a few more times to fill the carb when cold starting.

Trying to determine a more pesky problem--the saw stalls when I hit the throttle, and if the bulb should fill with fuel, then I must be sucking air somewhere in the fuel circuit and causing it to stall and die on lean condition. I know the crankcase is sealed--put on a new P&C and tested it. Going through the fuel supply piece by piece to fix the problem(hopefully).

Actually it's the "L" screw you should back out a little, the idle fuel has to be set a bit on the rich side to provide enough fuel from the idle and transfer ports to allow a smooth transition to the high speed circuit as rpm increases. The "H" screw is adjusted to get the tuning right for high speed, full load conditions and should not be fooled with to compensate for incorrect idle tuning.

Actually it's the "L" screw you should back out a little, the idle fuel has to be set a bit on the rich side to provide enough fuel from the idle and transfer ports to allow a smooth transition to the high speed circuit as rpm increases. The "H" screw is adjusted to get the tuning right for high speed, full load conditions and should not be fooled with to compensate for incorrect idle tuning.
He may have to adjust both to get it to run right. That's been my experience.

I have the fuel circuit working, filling the primer bulb. I have adjusted the carb as described here, and here is the problem now: it starts, idles well, still hesitates on the throttle, but it will sit and idle and then begin to surge and stall, and it continues until it dies. About the only thing I haven't done is replace the diaphragms in the carb. Is the surging and stalling a symptom of old diaphragms?

Sounds like a sticking high speed nozzle in the carburetor.
You have vacuum and pressure tested the motor, correct? Checked piston? If not, you could be wasting your time.
Put some more parts on it and let us know.

Back