Hey guys, looking for a new or good used saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the recommended oil theses days ? Synthetic or petroleum based ?

Search on "oil" here, some people buy Valvoline or Penzoil by the quart, others swear by synthetics like Mobil One 2T (recently discontinued), Amsoil Saber, Stihl Ultra, etc. Just make sure you're buying air cooled power equipment oil, not snowmobile or outboard motor oil. I used to buy Amsoil for $9 a quart, then found out my Dolmar dealer was selling 6.4oz of Dolmar synthetic for $1.33.

Good oils will carry a JASO FC rating, the best ones are FD. Figure 32:1-40:1 for Valvoline, and 40:1 or 50:1 for good synthetic. If you're using an old saw, don't use the ratio recommended when the saw was new, use the ratios I mentioned.

It's this crazy theoretical place where chainsaws fall from the heavens for 'pennies on the dollar'. I've had good luck with Ebay. I make sure the seller has good rep then I look to see how many items of that type he/she has sold. For example, if I'm looking at a chainsaw, I make sure he's sold more than just the one that is listed. The more he/she has sold, the more I trust them with type of item. When I got the 026 the guy had sold a ton of Stihl saws and parts. :)

Haha. I love ebay (most of the time) Been a member since 2001. Great place !

Ok, here is the husky model 40. Its got compression like I cant believe !
IMG_0490-1.jpg

IMG_0492-1.jpg

IMG_0493-1.jpg

IMG_0494-1.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Last edited:
The ether can trash a saw, always use mix in it and tighten them chains before ya use em. The mac looks good.

I wont do it again ! Thats just the way we used to start up our old 2-stroke dirt bikes back in the day, actually we mostly used just straight gas. But atleast it had lead in it then...:) We used to take the plug out and pour in a capfull. I vow to from here on out to take better care of my saws !:)

Search on "oil" here, some people buy Valvoline or Penzoil by the quart, others swear by synthetics like Mobil One 2T (recently discontinued), Amsoil Saber, Stihl Ultra, etc. Just make sure you're buying air cooled power equipment oil, not snowmobile or outboard motor oil. I used to buy Amsoil for $9 a quart, then found out my Dolmar dealer was selling 6.4oz of Dolmar synthetic for $1.33.

Good oils will carry a JASO FC rating, the best ones are FD. Figure 32:1-40:1 for Valvoline, and 40:1 or 50:1 for good synthetic. If you're using an old saw, don't use the ratio recommended when the saw was new, use the ratios I mentioned.

Thanks. I will do some checkin' arround.

Back