husqvarna model 40

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zz rich

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked it up last night for 40 bucks. It looks like a little old lady from Pasadena used it ! :clap: I mixed up some good quality synthetic oil and gas at about 40 to 1, filled up the bar lube, adjusted the chain, and it started first pull.:) Then i let it idle....purred like a kiten. I tested it on some oak I had lying arround and it cut like butter. Anyone know what years these were produced ? I can get the s/n if needed. It looks like its spent most of its life just kickin' back in the case in the guys garage.:givebeer: :cheers:

IMG_0490-1.jpg

Last edited:
In the historic perpectiv; It belongs to the Partner 400-family, and eventually was replaced by the Husky 340.

The last IPL was dated 2001, so there is no way production stopped in 1991, as indicated at CSCC......

There were older Huskys 40s and 340s, but those were a totally different Mag cased desigh.

The P400 is reputed to be the very first "plastic"-cased chainsaw.

Last edited:
It does not have points. As Troll points out there we two models in the Husky lineup that had the model # 40. One evolved into the 44 and had a magnesium case. The one you have has a plastic case. You will find it is very quiet. It was the quietest gas chainsaw at time of launch. It is not exactly a powerhouse, but very smooth. One of the first saws to use a spring A/V system. A later variant was the 45. Same saw larger displacement.

Thanks everybody, expecially SawTroll, for the updated info. It really helps. Yeah its real smooth and cuts nice. I am gonna touch up the chain a little. But other than that its ready to cut ! Its obviously been sitting for many years, but was stored properly. I will use it for limbing and firewood. Still cant get over the one pull start !

Edit: the guy who sold it said he had around 35 inquires about the saw, (in one day), but I got there first !

Last edited:
Back