? prices on used band mills

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leroy in Kansas

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have another question. There is a Timberking 1600 with less than 500hrs. that is going to sell in my area in the next few weeks. I've been scanning the web attempting to find prices and they seem to be all over the place. How do you evaluate a used mill, and what would seem to be a fair price for one in "good shape"? Thanks for your help, you all may save me from spending to much hard earned $ Leroy

Some things to look for:
Is the mill well lubed?
If yes continue.
If no and you ask about it and the owner tells you it is because grease attracts sawdust. Run and Run fast.
Are all the guards in place?
Yes, then they take care of the mill
No, run
Are there welds on the mill?
Are they nice weld like the factory?
Yes, that is good.
No. they look like they were welded from 3 feet away, run
Dose the mill look clean and well care for?
Or dose it look like it was road hard and put away wet?
Dose the mill sound like it should, or are there noises that should not be there?
Dose everything work the way it should with out having to break out a toolbox?
Base your price on the mill its self, not what others are selling for. Go over it with a fine toothcomb, ask questions, and make sure the answers are what you would expect.

I payed 12 K for mine used with only 12 hours on it......The lady I bought it off of gave me an invoice from where they bought it new and payed over 19 k with shipping. If it has been used for almost 500 hrs I would say it is going to be pretty beat up. Get a compression test on the engine as they really take a beating if not taken care of and that is the most exspensive piece to replace. Plan on replacing all of the bearings.... mine had to be because they had sat for a year. You can get them alot cheaper if you buy them from an industrial bearing supplier rather than from Timberking. I actally will not buy any parts from timberking because they are just standard industrial bearings and belts and they are 3 times more exspensive through them.

A 1600 with 500 hrs, log loader, trailer package, would be worth about 10k. More if it has the chain turner and toe boards and far less if it is lacking the loader and trailer package.

Timberking sold

Follow up on the Timberking 1600. It sold tonight for $7000 and had a hole in the engine? No, I don't own it. I got scared out when they reposted the saw stateing that the engine had a hole in it. As suggested in response to the question originally ask, I figured the saw hadn't been taken care of. I'm about 7K to the good now. THANK YOU ALL.
I figure I can build one heck of a saw for that figure. Leroy

If thats all that was wrong $7000 is a steal, I'd put a 30 to 40 HP diesel on it and have a real nice mill. I've got almost 7000 hours on my B20 Tk with not many problems. Replaced the 27HP Kohler after 5500 hours with a 28 hp Isuzu ( which saws twice as fast) that Kohler was still running good. Steve

Latest posts

Back