Field expedient fixes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First off, let me say, I am not looking for a permanent fix...

ie... We arrived at a job the other day and got one of our top handle saws out of the box and it had a hole in the oil tank.

We did have another top handled saw on site and work was not slowed, but if there is something that I can keep in my tool box that will make quick (1 hour or so) repairs instead of trashing a whole day driving for parts.

I would like to hear what others have used in the field for "expedient repairs" not just on tanks but other repairs in a pinch.

Fred

Last edited:
Changed title...

Changed the title on the thread because I followed my own advice and did a search.

What about that putty I've seen that billy mayes advertises. :monkey: Other then that I would have to say maybe some shoe goo.:monkey:

Your going to call me insane but......
Hole about 1/2" in the side of the gas tank on my Scout II, had to fix it or I'm not making it home. Found a nice green stick a little bigger than the hole, stripped the bark off of it and pounded it into the hole. Got me home, all that mattered. I would assume it would work on a plastic tank just don't use a hammer to put the "plug" in. You could even caulk it with a little JB weld or some of the JB weld putty.

Your going to call me insane but......
Hole about 1/2" in the side of the gas tank on my Scout II, had to fix it or I'm not making it home. Found a nice green stick a little bigger than the hole, stripped the bark off of it and pounded it into the hole. Got me home, all that mattered. I would assume it would work on a plastic tank just don't use a hammer to put the "plug" in. You could even caulk it with a little JB weld or some of the JB weld putty.

Not crazy at all. I have used wooden wedges and tapered dowels to stop haz-mat leaks... They even sell them specifically for that if you don't want to make your own.

LOL Yeah I have NEVER seen oxi-clean clean much of anything. You would be better off using powder dish ditergent then that :censored: .

Never mind I just looked up shoe goo and it need 24 hours of drying time. They have the quick cure gasket stuff. That might work. I would also keep a can of break clean in the truck too. A can of WD-40 would be good if anything electrical got wet. I used to keep 5 or 6 cans of WD-40 in my trail truck. Just incase the distributor got wet.:givebeer:

Duct tape ofcourse ! Works everytime. I have a mobile home and its my best freind ! Ok, now back to my beer....... Or. I have a pull-on that the oiler doesnt work on. I just keep a quart sized bottle of bar lube handy with a spout on top and apply as necisary. Ok......back to the quart......

The problem with any epoxy type repair is that you'd need to degrease before use... and mix gas or oil is very greasy...

I would have suggested JB Weld or something similar for metal cases. Some of those 2 part epoxies set up pretty quickly and work well. Some of the guys that I rode dirt bikes with learned the hard way that carrying epoxy could save the day.

I wouldn't have even thought about duct tape, but it should work on an oil tank leak.

I always degrease with BrakeKleen before using any epoxy, Carb kleen will melt a lot of plastics and some have a lubricant in them so you don't wash down a cylinder wall by spraying too much through a carb while the engine is running.

I always degrease with BrakeKleen before using any epoxy, Carb kleen will melt a lot of plastics and some have a lubricant in them so you don't wash down a cylinder wall by spraying too much through a carb while the engine is running.

I like electronic cleaner leaves no residue.

I can tell you right now that shoo goo / goop is not gasoline resistant. I tried to glue a Briggs gas tank with the stuff, and it dissolved. I've got to patch an oil tank and I'll be using either JB weld, a similar gas tank epoxy, or maybe MGS aircraft epoxy, but the latter stuff is pretty thin and hard to patch a hole with. I'm leaning towards hot JB Weld, packed into the hole as soon as it starts to set up. If you float a container of JB Weld in a 150 degree pan of water, you'd be surprised at how fast it starts to set/thicken. I found that out by accident once when I tried to thin it by floating the mix cup in hot water.

Actually there is a product that works very well on gas tanks, its a two part putty strip deal that you need together and apply. Not sure if it works on oil tanks do to the oil factor. Athough I once used jb weld on my old galaxie 500 oil pan when I punched a hole in it. Worked til I sold the car years later.

Oh, and make sure you clean off any oily residue with oxy-clean before making the repair ! JK

Last edited:
I keep a can of compressed air in my tool bag, "Dust Off" or such. Blow dirt from around a spark plug, clean around tank caps, clean air filter. Cheap, handy, and a can goes a long way...

dustoff22.jpg

I keep a can of compressed air in my tool bag, "Dust Off" or such. Blow dirt from around a spark plug, clean around tank caps, clean air filter. Cheap, handy, and a can goes a long way...

dustoff22.jpg

OMG ! :dizzy: And to think I live in the "Land of fruits and Nuts". :monkey:

Haha, funny picture though !

OK, that pic just got a laugh from me, an uncomfortable nervous laugh but ya gotta take what you can get.

I recently had to reseal the fuel tank halves on my Mac 10-10. I tried a couple but they were eaten up by the ethanol in our gas here. I ended up using "Seal All"

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm

Fuel tank repairs are what this stuff is inteded for, and it works really well. It is just thick enough to patch holes maybe up to 1/4" or less, requires no mixing, and sets up quickly. The only solvent that can touch it is acetone, and after its cured I don't know if it still would. This stuff is good! It reminds me of thick super glue and even has a similar aroma, but is sets up much slower.

Found mine at Auto-Zone and paid too much, just saw it last night at Wally World and it was less than $2 for about a tooth paste size tube! Getcha some!

I have used this stuff by permatex called gas tank and radiator repair - or something along those lines. It is a play-doh like stick with 2 different kinds of putty. You break off a chunk, mix it together between your fingers, and apply it to the surface. I've used it to patch gas tanks and also fixed a leaky radiator with it (that lasted about 5 years until I sold the truck). It sets up quick and then hardens up very solid. It's supposed to be resistant to gas and oil, so I think it would work well for a temorary field fix on a gas or oil tank on your saws.

Latest posts

Back