farmers almanac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mother nature's moody

you cant pridict her and she wont make up her mind

it is what it is

predicts a bad winter,If 8 cords got you through last year better have 16 this year???:jawdrop: :cry:

How is "bad" defined. Cold, snowy, or both.

LAst year in NH, we had a bad winter in terms of precipitation. 14 feet of snow, 2nd or 3rd snowiest on record. But it was relatively mild, with only a few days where the thermometer stayed parked in the single digits, most days in the 20s and 30s, and dropping to 10 at night - not too bad for around here. I suspect that the more snow you get, the more temp-regulating moisture is in the air, so winter is either bad in terms of how much you'll need to heat the house or the amount of snowblowing that will need to be done.

Last winter, as been noted earlier, was bad because it seemed to go on so long. We were posting on the "Who's still burning thread" well into May.

I heard that also on the radio, colder than normal winter, they said they have been correct about 80% of the time. I burned about 9 cords last winter, burned wood into May. heck we didn't have leaves on the tree's until almost June 1st.

Link I found after reading this. Click on a region to get a detailed outlook.

http://www.almanac.com/weather/

We'll see. BTW, the almanac is published by the same company that does Yankee magazine and is located in the little town of Dublin in the southeast corner of NH - a part of the state known as the Monadnock region. Mount Monadnock is among the top 5 most-climbed mountains in the world.

Up here in Idaho, I cannot imagine a worse winter than last winter.

We had more than DOUBLE our average snowfall, and it snowed off and on all the way into JUNE :jawdrop:

That said, Ive already got more than double the firewood split and stacked that I had last year :clap:

get smart i have a tree service on L I N Y amd st pete fla will sell my 100 + cords of wood then go tom trees:smoking:

The rebound to global warming is global cooling. Who's ready for winters like gramma and grandpa used to tell about ?

"The snow and ice were so deep you could iceskate over the tops of 5 wire fence rows the whole way into town ."

"Was so cold, your great-grandma had us wear mittens over our gloves to ride to town in the car."

"Winter lasted so long one year, I remember trying to plow and before I could finish a furrow it had already filled with blowing snow, in June"

"The oneroom schoolhouse was so cold you could hold paper on the end of a stick close to the wood stove and it would catch fire in just a bit of time. You didn't even have to touch it to it."

"The snow was blowing so hard we had to tie a rope from the barn to the house and walk along it to take care of the livestock we had left."

"We'd throw buckets of water on the windows to seal them up and keep the wind from coming through them. The water would be froze solid before it reached the ground."

These are in my dads's lifetime, growing up in Oklahoma in the 20's and 30's.

His dad grew up there before it was a state and had some to top dads. Especially the year the winter was so bad all the ponds froze solid, top to bottom. That has only been in the last 100 years.

The rebound to global warming is global cooling. Who's ready for winters like gramma and grandpa used to tell about ?

"The snow and ice were so deep you could iceskate over the tops of 5 wire fence rows the whole way into town ."

"Was so cold, your great-grandma had us wear mittens over our gloves to ride to town in the car."

"Winter lasted so long one year, I remember trying to plow and before I could finish a furrow it had already filled with blowing snow, in June"

"The oneroom schoolhouse was so cold you could hold paper on the end of a stick close to the wood stove and it would catch fire in just a bit of time. You didn't even have to touch it to it."

"The snow was blowing so hard we had to tie a rope from the barn to the house and walk along it to take care of the livestock we had left."

"We'd throw buckets of water on the windows to seal them up and keep the wind from coming through them. The water would be froze solid before it reached the ground."

These are in my dads's lifetime, growing up in Oklahoma in the 20's and 30's.

His dad grew up there before it was a state and had some to top dads. Especially the year the winter was so bad all the ponds froze solid, top to bottom. That has only been in the last 100 years.

And turn the clock back to the 1700s in New England and you read diary entries describing a little crust of ice developing by morning on a tankard of water on the bedside table. This was pre-woodstove and pre weatherwrap insulation. Nogged the walls with cornhusks, which were inferior insulation.

In my readings, I've learned that in the 1600s, when the Pilgrims and the other early English colonists were coming over, the earth was in the midst of a so-called Little Ice Age.

I forget the year but early New England settlers took a heavy toll when spring never came. They had 2 years of winter

I think the last "little iceage" lasted from the 1300's until the late 1850's in North America. That means it was going on during the Land Rush into Oklahoma and the Gold rush of 1848. I guess it was 1849 but the weather was so bad nobody could travel to California in '48.

One discussion brought up the idea that the Earth is an Ice Planet that experiences warming trends. Not quite sure on this one but there have been a lot of "ice ages" before recorded history. Or So some say.

I think I will go cut more wood this weekend. I hope I dont need it in April, again.

Last edited:
Bring it on, I am sick of sweating my arse off at work.

The old Ariens is ready to rock with a tank full of 87 octane and Sta-Bil. Gots a few cords for the Silver Dollar stove too.

If ya believe in these things,might be cold according to the almanac but around here not gonna be much snow.Every hornet's nest Ive seen is only two or three feet off the ground.

And turn the clock back to the 1700s in New England and you read diary entries describing a little crust of ice developing by morning on a tankard of water on the bedside table. This was pre-woodstove and pre weatherwrap insulation. Nogged the walls with cornhusks, which were inferior insulation.

I remember that happening and I don't live up north. When I was growing up we didn't have running water so we got water from a well and stored it in a bucket. We did have a stove but it wouldn't hold heat very long. I don't really remember how many times it happened but I do remember waking up with the water bucket having some ice on top. It must have been one of those sub zero nights that don't occur too often in my area.

I forget the year but early New England settlers took a heavy toll when spring never came. They had 2 years of winter

I think the last "little iceage" lasted from the 1300's until the late 1850's in North America. That means it was going on during the Land Rush into Oklahoma and the Gold rush of 1848. I guess it was 1849 but the weather was so bad nobody could travel to California in '48.

One discussion brought up the idea that the Earth is an Ice Planet that experiences warming trends. Not quite sure on this one but there have been a lot of "ice ages" before recorded history. Or So some say.

I think I will go cut more wood this weekend. I hope I dont need it in April, again.

The upside to the chill is that it results in a much more salubrious environment - a climate that isn't as friendly to disease causing bacteria, malaria carrying mosquitoes, etc. I don't have the numbers handy, but the life expectancy was way higher for New England colonists than those settling in the Chesapeake. Up our way, if a newborn made it to 5 years, there was a very high liklihood he's make it well into his 70s. The infant mortality #s bring down the overall life expectancy average. You see this illustrated if you wander around some of the old burying grounds where there's a buch of big slate markers memorializing folks passing on at 70, 75, etc. And 2 stones over, there's a tiny little marker at the final resting place of a 2-week old.

Back