My pickup truck bed vs cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can and do put a cord on my truck, more if I dont want to leave some for wood thieves. Whats the big deal ? It doesnt squat, or make the 10 plys look flat, has plenty of suspension travel left. The truck is proven and able plus I don't "crowd the brakes" to stop.

If you say you do it then I'll take your word. My main source of doubt was that I hadn't seen anyone else claim to be able to do it without siderails and then stacking it to the top of the cab at that. I hadn't even considered straps for allowing less tapered stacks which would make a big difference.

Unless it was a contest or just to prove a point why would anyone take the time to carefully stack wood into a pickup bed, I figured by tapered pile he did it like most, just throw as much wood as you can in the back and stack it as high as you can without any falling out, to me that would be a tapered pile 18" above the bed sides. With a full size pick up that would be just over a 1/2 cord.
This is what he said "8 Foot bed tapered stack 18 inches above the bed rails which is a bit more than a cord." it didn't say carefully hand stacked.

My truck shown like this holds just over a cord when stacked to the top of the cab. The last row of stands vertical in the last 9-12" before the tailgate.

I've verified the volume many times.

attachment.php

Unless it was a contest or just to prove a point why would anyone take the time to carefully stack wood into a pickup bed, I figured by tapered pile he did it like most, just throw as much wood as you can in the back and stack it as high as you can without any falling out, to me that would be a tapered pile 18" above the bed sides. With a full size pick up that would be just over a 1/2 cord.
This is what he said "8 Foot bed tapered stack 18 inches above the bed rails which is a bit more than a cord." it didn't say carefully hand stacked.

Why would I go to the trouble of stacking ?

Because the few minutes extra it takes to stack it compared to the $30 fuel for the second trip and the extra hour drive is worth it.
Less worries about losing any of the load when it is stacked.
The ticket for an unsecured load is more than the profit of the load.
It is like money in the bank to make your trips count.

Bigger trucks : We may pay more to go the same distance empty but we can bring back twice as much loaded.

Depending upon weight, I can haul a solid cord to cord and a half with my flatbed.

bed size is 6'8" x 8' Stacked 30" tall gives me a solid cord. 44" tall gives me a cord and a half :clap:

Only way I can haul a cord and a half dead standing trees. Green is normally just shy of cord.

this load here was all 10' log lengths, 36" tall. Thats pushing a hair past 1 1/2 cord, unless Im doing me math wrong :monkey:

FWrun1_08.jpg

Your math is right....it's just the FORD View attachment 77427

A real truck hauls 2 cords..:sword:

View attachment 77428

I'm with KS WoodsMan on stacking. I will stack my 3/4 ton trucks as I live about 15 mi from were I grew up / do most of my cutting and with gas / diesel the way it is you got to make the trips count. Now the old pickup box trailer doesn't usually get stacked since it is just a half tonner (62 Ford) and I don't want to break it.

The old 72 has side bords so a cord is pretty common. The new trucks got a toolbox in the back so 1/2 cord is about all I'll get in it if I get it stacked pefectly. It gets twice the mileage though (12 V Cummins) and plays with the old trailer and splitter behind.

Got some good rigs on here. Thanks for sharing guys.

Don

Ahh, my bad, it does resemble an early 70's Chevy from that angle. Still a good solid truck.

Not your bad...just something that you havn't seen. My nickname for it is "The Beast". It is a IH 1510 with 304 v8, 4 speed trans, 2 speed rear and equivalent to a FORD F450. It's really is a beast to drive and a real stump puller.

Because the few minutes extra it takes to stack it compared to the $30 fuel for the second trip and the extra hour drive is worth it.

Bigger trucks : We may pay more to go the same distance empty but we can bring back twice as much loaded.

I'm with you on that one. I always stack it in the bed unless I know I don't have a full load to haul or if I only have a very short distance to travel back and forth... otherwise I maximize each load to making hauling as cheap and as quick as possible.

Now that I have the 7x14x6 dump trailer (plus the 8' bed of the truck), I'll just chuck everything in there since weight will likely become more of an issue than volume.

Last edited:
Not your bad...just something that you havn't seen. My nickname for it is "The Beast". It is a IH 1510 with 304 v8, 4 speed trans, 2 speed rear and equivalent to a FORD F450. It's really is a beast to drive and a real stump puller.

2 speed rear axle ? Sweeeeeeet !!! :) I gotta hand it to you that's not an everyday find.

Now that I have the 7x14x6 dump trailer (plus the 8' bed of the truck), I'll just chuck everything in there since weight will likely become more of an issue than volume.

Your right about that. Now that you have a dump trailer your going to want a skid steer to load the wood into the truck and trailer. That's what happened to me. It really increases the areas you can cut. The box I built for the skid steer holds a bit over a rank of wood. It's easy to load at ground height. Dump the load into the trailer and get another. One of the best things about a dump trailer is splitting the wood. Just back up to the splitter and start dumping it up. The wood all slides back to you. You never have to get into a trailer or move things around.

Scott

I guess if you haul wood that far. If it takes $30 in gas to deliver 1 cord of wood I think they would be better off burning propane. For me to keep climbing up and down in and out of my truck bed, it would take me an extra hour to stack neatly, not to mention a sore back. I just chuck it in and be done with it, 1/2 cord tossed into the bed, and a 1/2 cord tossed in the trailer I tow. I won't deliver wood farther than 25 miles unless they want to pay for the extra mileage 50 cents per mile.

Your right about that. Now that you have a dump trailer your going to want a skid steer to load the wood into the truck and trailer. That's what happened to me. It really increases the areas you can cut. The box I built for the skid steer holds a bit over a rank of wood. It's easy to load at ground height. Dump the load into the trailer and get another. One of the best things about a dump trailer is splitting the wood. Just back up to the splitter and start dumping it up. The wood all slides back to you. You never have to get into a trailer or move things around.

Scott

LOL, if I buy a skid steer anytime soon, I might find myself sleeping in the cockpit! Although, I like the idea... :dizzy:

I guess if you haul wood that far. If it takes $30 in gas to deliver 1 cord of wood I think they would be better off burning propane. For me to keep climbing up and down in and out of my truck bed, it would take me an extra hour to stack neatly, not to mention a sore back. I just chuck it in and be done with it, 1/2 cord tossed into the bed, and a 1/2 cord tossed in the trailer I tow. I won't deliver wood farther than 25 miles unless they want to pay for the extra mileage 50 cents per mile.

If it was all going to one person they don't want to pay mileage 2X.

Or, If I'm makig a couple of deliveries to the same area and I can fit it on the truck or truck and trailer I can charge both or all the customers mileage, no extra trips to re-load. Money in the bank or at least that didn't have to come out of my pocket.

$30 is 5 gallons to get there and 4 gallons to get back. It isn't enough to just work hard.

The price of gas to transport wood is to the point where if you don't get your wood free or cheap it almost isn't really worth burning wood. Where I live wood is abundant so it is much cheaper for me to burn wood, I'm sure I save $1,000 per year. If you lived in or near a big city where wood was scarce it might not be worth the delivery cost. Plus you just have to like hard work, if you figure all the time you spend cutting, splitting, carrying, starting fires, etc. and put a $ per hour to it it may be cheaper to burn propane, or natural gas.

Back