I wait till the leaves are off the trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
to cut firewood for the most part. Sap is starting to go down, and moisture. Temps are also better for cutting wood. I work outside all day every day, so I naturally enjoy cooler to cold times of the year. Now if I get a call or word of mouth that a good firewood or slab tree is down, Im on it like a fat kid on a cupcake. How do you all do it?

Whenever I have time. I am always pretty busy so I can't really be choosy about time, but I prefer the cooler temps of fall and winter. Frozen ground is a plus in the woods and no bugs.

It does make it easier to be out there when the temps start to drop. I do like it better in the colder months but the 4th of July found me a working a blowdown.

I'll work out there when temps are 30* - 90* F, anything beyond starts to get to uncomfortable for me to work for extended periods of time (which I prefer to do). About 50 to 60 and dry is nirvana for working IMO.

best time of the year

is yet to come . my favorite time to cut is the dead of winter -20 to about 40 above F . hunting seasons are over and not much else to do except ice fish. saws run better and frozen wood splits easier. I'm a carpenter by trade and sweat enough at work all summer long-- winter is a welcome change!

i make sure i mark all my dead standing trees in the summer so i do not mix them up with the living ones.

I love cutting in the colder temps, but try to get everything cut up before the wood is frozen. Frozen wood is hard on the chain.

I perfer winter time December through March, when the ground is froze and you don't have to deal with leaves, bugs, snakes and the heat/humidity. Plus I'm bored, and I'm in need of exercise and away from the kids, Summer time I can always find something to do.

I've done a little bit this summer when the temps weren't above 80. I prefer to wait for winter. But when something good comes along and it is either I get it or someone else, you bet I'm there.

Does that make me the fat kid on the cupcake?

I've done a little bit this summer when the temps weren't above 80. I prefer to wait for winter. But when something good comes along and it is either I get it or someone else, you bet I'm there.

Same here. I've been cutting at a pile of tree tops that several others have permission to cut at and am hoping to get all I can before the supply is gone. Also, the tornado that ripped through here this summer was something of a windfall and I was up against the clock since most of the property owners who let me take the wood were eager to have the trees off their property.

I have permission to cut at a few other places. Once of them is inaccessible due to mud during the warmer months and am hoping that this year, the ground will be frozen before we get a ton of snow.

i make sure i mark all my dead standing trees in the summer so i do not mix them up with the living ones.

that's what we do....

we take one weekend in the summer and paint the dead or dying trees. makes it alot easier to see them when all the leaves are off and every tree looks the same...

I cut when the wood is available, at least close. There is property about 45 minutes from me that I can cut on anytime, as long as I take dead wood (can be standing). I cut there during the winter, as I can burn the dead standing trees right away. I'll also cut the downed stuff in early fall, to give it time to dry.

BTW - Never have any trouble telling when a tree is dead enough w/o leaves. Telltale sign, besides losing bark, is the white mushroom or shelf fungus that grows only on dead trees. Can spot that stuff from a couple hundred yards off. If I can't tell if it's dead during the winter, it probably isn't dry enough to burn yet.

LOL, I didnt mean any offense. I picked up that saying from a guy at work, I really shouldnt use it. I know Im ready for serious firewood cutting this winter. Its nice because the rental place I work at just happens to be a Stihl dealer, so I'm in the catbird's seat as far as tools, parts, chains, etc.

If there is a cool day in the summer and I have time I might cut a little.. otherwise, most of my cutting happens in the fall after the farm work is all done. Lot cooler then too!!

Back