Makita/Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a rental unit today for $100.00 They are comparable to the ms660 which you will never touch for a price like that. I have run a lot of stihls and Jonsereds and I think Dolmar is a far better saw. They are balanced well, have lots of power, dependable and the 6400 7300 and 7900 are all built on the same platform so many of the parts are interchangable. Not many companies do that any more.

Agreed been very impressed so far but I would not put it in the class of a 660.

Hasn't quite got the 7hp of the 660. Is almost identical to the 650s 6.4hp with 6.3hp stock.
Seems to have better build quality than the 650 tho'.:buttkick:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Agreed been very impressed so far but I would not put it in the class of a 660.

I was thinking 44 and typed 66....If I could win a choice of a free 066 or the 7900 I would take the dolmar without hesitation.

Dolmar was the first company to produce a gas chainsaw and has kept the price down and quality up for 80 years. Stihl on the otherhand built a reputation, upped prices and reduced the quality of their saws.

:monkey:
I was thinking 44 and typed 66....If I could win a choice of a free 066 or the 7900 I would take the dolmar without hesitation.

Dolmar was the first company to produce a gas chainsaw and has kept the price down and quality up for 80 years. Stihl on the otherhand built a reputation, upped prices and reduced the quality of their saws.

:monkey:

after all the 7900 hype here, I bought a Makita 64 converted to 79 cc from an AS member here. either that or an 046. I don't cut for a living, so parts and service not so critical, and decided the dolmar would be interesting.

It has makita blue plastic, which I actually wanted, just to be sort of a 'sleeper' drag racer in disguise. (ah yes, those days of stoplight drag racing... but I digress again)
ONly a few tanks through it is loosening up, but I really like it.
As a 64cc I think it would be heavy for the power. As a 79, its great.
No fun in wood less than 12 inches, the 026 keeps up and is way lighter. In 24 inch maple, it was in its home turf, where it can use the power that it has.
Smooth in the cut, fairly quick to spool up, and well balanced. Not sure if I like tha angled front handle yet. May take some time to get used to.

Overall, if you can get a 64 cheap, i'd say it is an awesome homeowner saw for it's price. then plan for teh 79 top end.

kcj

after all the 7900 hype here, I bought a Makita 64 converted to 79 cc from an AS member here. either that or an 046. I don't cut for a living, so parts and service not so critical, and decided the dolmar would be interesting.

It has makita blue plastic, which I actually wanted, just to be sort of a 'sleeper' drag racer in disguise. (ah yes, those days of stoplight drag racing... but I digress again)
ONly a few tanks through it is loosening up, but I really like it.
As a 64cc I think it would be heavy for the power. As a 79, its great.
No fun in wood less than 12 inches, the 026 keeps up and is way lighter. In 24 inch maple, it was in its home turf, where it can use the power that it has.
Smooth in the cut, fairly quick to spool up, and well balanced. Not sure if I like tha angled front handle yet. May take some time to get used to.

Overall, if you can get a 64 cheap, i'd say it is an awesome homeowner saw for it's price. then plan for teh 79 top end.

kcj

I agree. I liked the 7900 I converted from a 6400. But my stock 064 before the dp cover smoked it in wood over 18", as it should. Under 18-20" the 7900 was a little faster, and a joy to run. I dont believe for a second what some of these people post that a 7900 will keep up with a MS660/066 if the cutting assembly is similar. Wont happen.

When did quality drop?

It has been a slow progression, it includes flip top oil caps, safety anti kickback chain on their low end saws, auto chain tensioners, and plastic crank cases.

If you have a stihl dealer near you go and compare their parts prices next to Dolmar or even Husqvarna/Jonsered.

The best test of quality is what gets used as rentals. We have a dozen or so rental companies in this area and the only one that rents stihls is a small tool/party rental company. All the large equipment companies are renting makita DCSs (dolamars).

Go to HD and ask how long they keep their rental units before they sell them. The answer is three years, no exceptions. Then go and ask the same thing somewhere that rents stihls. They will sell one to you when you walk in the door....

I know I am not going to change anybodies mind on stihls if that is what you like.... Some old guys still rant and rave about craftsmen tools.....Some people get something stuck in their heads and it doesn't matter how bad the quality becomes....those people still think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and are unwilling to give anything else a try. John deere is another good example of this phenominon

Last edited:
Some people get something stuck in their heads and it doesn't matter how bad the quality becomes....those people still think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and are unwilling to give anything else a try.

I own both brands and I'm not going to say one is better quality than the other (in the pro line), but I will agree with your quote above 100%.

It has been a slow progression, it includes flip top oil caps, safety anti kickback chain on their low end saws, auto chain tensioners, and plastic crank cases.

I don't see what causes so many people to have trouble with the flip caps. I've never had any trouble, nor have I seen any of the multitudes of people I've worked with in the Forest Service (and you know we have some not-real-bright folks working here) have any trouble with them over the 7 years the flip caps have been out. Honestly, I've seen and had threaded caps jostle loose several times, while I've never seen a flip cap come off.

Safety chain comes on all saws under 62ccs due to ANSI standards. Doesn't matter who makes it.

Yeah, the tool less chain tensioners are pretty dumb.

All 3 big companies have plastic crankcases on their small saws. Agreed, Dolmar is the only company that makes a saw as small as 40cc with a mag case, but they also make one as big as 51cc with a plastic case.

To sum it up, when you point your finger, remember that you have 3 pointing right back at yourself.

So this dip in Stihl quality you speak of... The only one that applies to the pro saws is the flip caps. BFD. Small thing. Let's take the Stihl 460 for an example. The rest of the saw is actually more reliable and more powerful than the original 046 was. Same for the 440 before it was discontinued, same for the 660. (Although the power did increase on the 066 there for a bit, then OSHA sound level limits made the power decrease, then EPA regulations decreased power again) However, the power of the 660 is greater than the original 066, and with simple muffler and carb mods, it can be back up to where it was at the peak of the 066. But with both the 1128 and 1122 series saws, continous improvements to durability have been made. So are you saying that the drop in quality happened with the change from the 038, 056, 084 era saws? I love those saws, but you've gotta agree that although there's a lot more plastic on the newer saws, they're still very reliable and more powerful than the saws they replaced. Not to mention they weigh a lot less.

I'll tell you another thing for free, until Dolmar makes an air filter that's bigger than that which you'd put on a weed wacker, it'll never work for fire, where Stihls and Huskies do great.

This is not to say that the Dolmars are crap. I own 2, and love them. When it came time to buy my 62 year old mother a small saw to use around her property, the Makita 401 was the obvious choice. The 7900 is a really comfortable saw to run, the full wrap they have for it is hands down my favorite. The power is great, unless there's dust in the air.

Reliability is subjective. Hop on ebay and search parts chainsaws....then start counting the brands that are broken and being sold for parts..... Sure we can't count Dolmar because they haven't sold enough here to have many be on ebay, but Husky/Jonsered and stihl all have. If you combine the Husqavarna and Jreds the broken stihls are still twice the number......

I have owned several and they are good saws, All I was originally saying is that they are over priced when compared to comperable saws. When it comes to stihl; the old addage "you get what you pay for" does not apply.

you get what you pay for"

Actually, that should be 'you don't get what you dont' pay for....'
Sometimes you pay for more than you get. but you rearely get more than you pay for.

and I am not not flaiming any brand as I have several stihls, echo and dolmar at present.

Yes, there are many saws built to increasing cost pressures, but I think because the consumer expects more and has more choices.
overall I think quality divided by price has improved. Meaning, the 'good old solid saws' cost a months wages, now they cost say a couple weeks wages.
The one costing a months wage is a far better saw than the one reaplcing it, and it costs more.
But I've run a few of the 'good old days' saws. Great fun, appreciate the the old timers, but for getting work done I'll take magnesium, plastic, antivibe, better chain, and lighter weight anyday.

kcj

I have owned several and they are good saws, All I was originally saying is that they are over priced when compared to comperable saws. When it comes to stihl; the old addage "you get what you pay for" does not apply.

I'll reinterate what I said about them not working for fire. So we save a hundred dollars or so buying a 7900 full wrap instead of a 460 full wrap. One of them is going to choke out to the point of not running after 5 minutes in the dust. When you're cutting burning trees, your saw needs to be the smallest distraction possible. Is the money saved worth it if I get schmucked by the top of the tree when it falls out as I'm cleaning my air filter for the third time while I'm falling a 2 foot diameter tree? :monkey:

I am currently waiting for a Dolmar 7900 as a larger/replacement saw for an older Sears/Roper 3.7 353770 which still runs fine but has sparks flying out of it from somewhere. The Sears saw is at least 20 years old, still fires up with second pull and with a Oregon bar and chain it just runs, (saw was a hurricane Alicia purchase). Due to the recent Ike I have decided that a larger saw is needed, or a backup saw... After some reading and perusing on the internet I have found AS, and after more reading I started liking the Dolmar 7900. Hopefully I will have good luck with the saw and will be able to pass it down to my kid one day... I REALLY wanted a true 4 stroke chainsaw to match my HHt25 trimmer and Makita Blower but the technology is yet to be had and marketed...

Stihl would have been an easier solution since I have a few dealerships to choose from but for the money I am hoping the little guy pulls through. (father has a Stihl blower, mini-tiller, and has my FS-200 trimmer)

Latest posts

Back