029/290 muff mod - found the sweetspot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know if their is a saw out their that was choked off more than that MS650 when i got it, but after the port job it really really brought that to life also, but now with the BB kit it should be even better yet.

SectorB, taking close note when I took my limiter caps off my H jet was limited to open only to about 7/8ths of a turn out, with muffler mod its now set to almost 1.5 turns out. Search on how to remove the caps and git-r-done before you melt a piston. Probably won't gain much power until you turn the fuel up anyway.

Wild Mod

Picture054.jpg

i found the pipe in my garage it went to a motor scooter

LazyJ,

I took the saw over to the shop to see what type of RPM's it was turning.

Idle was 3000 at WOT it was 13000 and some small change. I took it today and ran through some hickory with no problems. The saw is running great, but maybe a little more fuel will really help. Thanks for the info.

Sector

B,
i took my limiter caps off by using a sheetrock screw. i have heard some say they damaged theirs using this technique, but i did not have a problem. once they were out, i took a razor and trimmed the tabs off and tuned it. don't forget to put the caps back on, as they keep the screws from moving from vibration.

Lazy and Murph,

Took the limiter caps off, tuned it and it is running at 3000 and 13000 and sounds like a much better saw. Thanks for all the info. :cheers: Now i need to get a new chain. I hit a grown over pipe and ripped off a lot of cutters

I'm planning on buying a Stihl 044, here in the very near future, for rebuilding, and for my use. I also am planning to do a Muffler Modification, as well.
I never knew, or never heard of Muffler Modification, until I joined AS. Can you fellas, tell me which design that you guys were so nice to post pictures, would be the best suited for this 044. I mostly cut Soft Maple, and Ash here in my Bush. All the help, and advice I can get is Extremely Appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. Bruce.

I'm planning on buying a Stihl 044, here in the very near future, for rebuilding, and for my use. I also am planning to do a Muffler Modification, as well.
I never knew, or never heard of Muffler Modification, until I joined AS. Can you fellas, tell me which design that you guys were so nice to post pictures, would be the best suited for this 044. I mostly cut Soft Maple, and Ash here in my Bush. All the help, and advice I can get is Extremely Appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help. Bruce.

Bruce does your 044 have a DP muffler on it, if not get one and you should be set to go as far as a muffler mods on an 044. Richen up the high side a little and let her rip.

Bruce does your 044 have a DP muffler on it, if not get one and you should be set to go as far as a muffler mods on an 044. Richen up the high side a little and let her rip.
Now you have me lost. LOL. How do you tell if you have a DP Muffler, from the other? As you know, I'm new to this Muffler Modifications. Thanks Bruce.

Bruce, here's some pics I posted of the DP cover.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=72458

Thanks for the Picture Post. I'll just wait, and see what happens first once I get this 044 up and running, before I do any of this fancy work.
I might be not Bold enough to try it, until I get used to the Chainsaw First. The piston was seized, but with some real good penetrating oil, I was able to get it freed. Bruce.

I took the Muffler off my Sthil 044, that I just Bought, and it didn't look anything like the Pictures posted here, Once I got the Plate off the Muffler, you could see the Exhaust Port. Is that supposed to be like this for a 044? Here are some Pictures of the Muffler. Your Advice is Greatly Appreciated. Thanks. Bruce.

I did a similar job on my muffler mod tell me how you adjusted the carb.
thanks mick

Newbie process to the muffler mod

I started to cut this morning and it started to rain hard so I found my self with some time to do some maintenance on my 029. Then I saw my drill and the rest was history.
I ran into some problems tuning it up but i think that i am close. I have the burble sound at max rpm. the response is great.
Now I am ordering a tach just so its right.
I haven't had a chance to test it on my 33 cord pile yet but tomorrow is another day.
I just want to say thanks to Lazy J for the pics. And to all the long time members of the site for all the information.
I have been a weekend warrior for many years and never knew how chains and mods could boost the performance.

P.S. What should my rpms be on a 029 with the muffler mod?\

Thanks again Lazyj and everyone.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back