Chaps appreciation.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To give my arms a break while milling I sometimes use my left leg/knee to lean on the saw in between the top of the wrap handle and the air filter cover of my 076. If I mill all day without chaps I get a tingling feeling in my left leg that lasts for days, with chaps it is much less intense and lasts for at most just a few hours.

Would it be safe to try and put Velcro on the straps, and belt, as a back up, or not, or would it be wise to put a regular Leather Belt that you can put the Buckle pin through a hole in the belt, to keep them tighter?

I don't mind the plastic clips. Velcro will eventually get clogged with sawdust and it's just about impossible to clean, a regular belt buckle would be better.

I just learned that chaps in the shed do not protect me at all. 11 stitches to top of knee yesterday. I was LUCKY, could have been much worse. I guess I will wear my chaps for ALL cutting from now on.
Every time I hear about someone getting cut, or have a close call with a Chain Saw, I just Cringe.
My Aunt's Brother, was cut pretty bad by a Chain Saw, in the Neck. When he went to get Stitched up at The Hospital, the Surgeon said that he could see the Jugular Vein, from the Cut. Now he has an awful looking Scare. He was Lucky.
When I became a Factory Service Technician for Stihl, I was show Pictures of Chain Saw Cuts, before the Stitches, and After.
Sorry that you had to learn this way, about Chaps. I had a few close calls, with a Chain Saw, but after my last close call, I went and bought myself a pair, and wear them all the time when doing any type of cutting. Even when I Drive my Tractor while Skidding tops out into the field. Once I get the tops out of the field, I just limb them there, and drag them to the buildings to be cut up later. I'm very glad that you were not hurt very badly, but very sorry you got injured.
I don't know if I welcomed you to AS or not, but welcome to AS. I'm sure that you will get lots of enjoyment, and learn lots of neet stuff here. I sure have. Bruce.

I just learned that chaps in the shed do not protect me at all. 11 stitches to top of knee yesterday. I was LUCKY, could have been much worse. I guess I will wear my chaps for ALL cutting from now on.

I think it can happen to anyone. I have a pair of jeans with a nick in the thigh from a chain that had almost stopped when i carelessly let the chain come into contact with my leg.

I am embarassed to report that I bought sum nice Labonville chaps several months ago, and I have yet to use them! I promise to wear them from now on whenever I use a chainsaw. I like the little quick clips that hold them on my legs, they don't really feel very restrictive.

The post the other day about the engineer who amputated his own leg with a new Poo Lawn while standing atop a stepladder one-handing a saw, well, that got my attention. It could have been me. I used to do reckless stuff like that. Now I go rock climbing. Much safer, IMO

Chaps good.:clap:

....The only fault I have found with them, is those stupid plastic buckle clips, and the belt for around your waist, don't stay tight for very long.
Would it be safe to try and put Velcro on the straps, and belt, as a back up, or not, or would it be wise to put a regular Leather Belt that you can put the Buckle pin through a hole in the belt, to keep them tighter?

Bruce,

Check your buckles for proper routing of the webbing. I assume you have Fastex buckles (side release black plastic thingy's). The webbing routing path is directional. Check out this side view of how the webbing should be routed. Also make sure the ridged section on the buckle is in contact with the webbing. Occasionally I have found buckles mounted backwards or cheap buckles without the ridged section that do not hold well. If your buckles do not hold, you can purchase good buckles individually to replace the ones you have. I don't think I have yet run across webbing that would not hold on good quality fastex buckles.

Thanks for the kind words. I was truly lucky. Another quarter inch and I would be into some serious problems. Thinking back on it I think I actually brought my leg into the saw and the chain was slowing down. I was about an hour and a half from hospital but I do carry a very extensive first aid kit that I use for 3-4 week wilderness canoe trips in Labrador. In it I had all sorts of bandages and steri-strips that closed up the wound wonderfully. The doc opened it up again to do a final flushing but told be that he was very impressed with my field doctoring on myself.

The heck of it is that I am an extremely safety conscious guy. I constantly evaluate risks and take steps to avoid or mitigate them in wilderness journeys and on my motorcycle I will not even go down the street without full protective gear. This had been a very good lesson for me. From now on, the saw will not be started until I have the full gear on. The other no no was that my mind was more on the activity to follow than on the immediate act of clearing away a couple small trees.

so easy to let things slip, isn't it? We've all done it, let's be honest.

Great to know you mostly got away with it. older and wiser, etc.

Latest posts

Back