Bound Up Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl029Tree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I loaned my Stihl 029 Super to a neighbor. He returned it in pretty poor shape. It looks like he was cutting roots. The chain is extremely dull and the saw seems to run poorly. I replaced the chain as sharpening would have taken hours.

The problem is the sprocket that turns the chain seems tight. I assume it was run dry for a time without bar oil. I disassembled the saw and noticed the bearing was missing a few cylinders. I will get this replaced. I have loosened things up, cleaned them up, oiled them but my problem is I am having difficulty putting the sprocket housing back on. I realize there is a notch and pin that have to be aligned, but I still have been unsuccessful in putting it back together. Now I don't need to be reminded of the life lesson as I think I already know not to loan my saw out again. Any suggestions.

Use a bright flash light to line up the notches, you will feel when it drops in place. Be sure to oil that bearing when you install the new one. I hope you told the guy he will be buying the parts......and a new chain. How does the bar rails look? Burnt, gouged, uneven? Take some thin metal and clean out the grooves between the rails and get all that gunk out.

Sorry to hear your loss.

List all the items and bill him accordingly!

Good luck next time

7sleeper

Does anyone know where I can get an exploded drawing of my saw? Is there anywhere I can go to get technical documents / drawings? I went to the Stihl website but was unable to locate anything useful.

I loaned my Stihl 029 Super to a neighbor. He returned it in pretty poor shape. It looks like he was cutting roots. The chain is extremely dull and the saw seems to run poorly. I replaced the chain as sharpening would have taken hours.

The problem is the sprocket that turns the chain seems tight. I assume it was run dry for a time without bar oil. I disassembled the saw and noticed the bearing was missing a few cylinders. I will get this replaced. I have loosened things up, cleaned them up, oiled them but my problem is I am having difficulty putting the sprocket housing back on. I realize there is a notch and pin that have to be aligned, but I still have been unsuccessful in putting it back together. Now I don't need to be reminded of the life lesson as I think I already know not to loan my saw out again. Any suggestions.

Any suggestions you ask??
Louisville Slugger usually works good on neighbors like that.:)

Perfect. Thank you.

I got things figured out. The reason I was having trouble putting the housing back on was because I had the brake engaged. As soon as I released the brake it all fell into place. Senior moment, I guess.

Why in the hell was he using your saw to cut roots they were in the dirt
i would think.WOW what people do to chain saws .hey give him a old
dull file and tell him to sharpen the chain .LOL

+1 - especially family, it cost me my cherry Homie SXL Auto.
+2. I have to agree here. Next time, your neighbor wants to borrow a chain saw, tell him that you will run it, and here is my Hourly Rate.
I used to have a neighbour like that, and always wanted to borrow something. I always said that I would run it, and told him my Hourly Rate, or go and rent it from a Rental.
What I use to clean out the groves of my Bars, is a broken piece of a Hack Saw Blade. With the teeth of the blade pointed away from you, does a great job of cleaning it. Also put some White Grease on the Bearing for the Clutch. A lot better than oil. Bruce.

Lesson learned... never loan your saws out... to ANYONE!

Whether you trust them or not.

...unless you go with the saw and do the cuttin' yourself. :)

Gary

A few months back I stopped and asked about a big oak that blew down in a storm, the home owner said If I cut it I could have it, So I came back with 3 saws and a trailer. He noticed the saws and said he would help (he's about 22-23 years old) I was skeptical but let him use the 3rd (back up saw) he took better care of it than I would have, after every other cut he would do the Oil spray check, His father obviously tought him well, he noticed how I was useing wedges to avoid getting pinched, then he would come and tap wedges in for me with out me even hinting it was time, sharp kid, If he needed to borrow a saw I would do it.

A few months back I stopped and asked about a big oak that blew down in a storm, the home owner said If I cut it I could have it, So I came back with 3 saws and a trailer. He noticed the saws and said he would help (he's about 22-23 years old) I was skeptical but let him use the 3rd (back up saw) he took better care of it than I would have, after every other cut he would do the Oil spray check, His father obviously taught him well, he noticed how I was using wedges to avoid getting pinched, then he would come and tap wedges in for me with out me even hinting it was time, sharp kid, If he needed to borrow a saw I would do it.

There are some Exceptions to Every Rule, that you have just shown. If you see how this person operates your, or his Equipment, and handles it better than you do, then Yes let him borrow it, but if you don't like how he does things, then don't. Bruce.

I wont go into a long story but years ago i let someone use a saw he brought
it back and said he needed a way bigger saw it had a 16 " bar i said why
he said it didn't have enough power the chain was dull and he tried to put
another one on it but had to buy one a little different the jackass run the
first chain in the dirt and put the second on backwards and the drive was
different so i had to buy a whole new clutch .that was it for me .allthough
i thought of getting the biggest POS saw keep the chain dull hard to start
and use it to loan out.

Back