Look What I Just Bought (Mostly Fault of AS)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougNH

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm not really a Husky guy or a Stihl guy, I like them all. Went to a nice shop in Milford, NH that has both Swedish and German saws. Was comparing the 357XP and the MS361, salesman was a real Husky guy, pushed the 357, but I don't really listen to salesmen that much. Was explaining to my better half who was there with me that things are starting to change, emissions and EPA and the death of the saws we love, and then she asked: which one do you think has a better chance of lasting 20 years?

So here it is, my newest addition:

MS361.gif

Going out now to try it out!

Good choice, I made the same choice about a month ago! I just installed the double dawgs on mine, now it's time to put it to the wood! I don't think you could of made a bad choice between the two saws you were looking at, both would of been good. I don't have any Huskys but the 372xpw is calling my name, only I am not paying attention, sort of.

How do you know when you have CAD? :chainsaw: :dizzy:

I made the same choice 2 months ago. I sure love my 361 very low vib. and smothe fast high rpms. I just cut some firewood this morning. Its been 2 months and I still cant wait to use it again. Happy sawing... I bet we will still have them in 20 years...:clap: :clap: :clap:

I know some will say I am contradicting myself, but in the 60cc class the inboard clutch of the 361 is a big asset......:)

More power as well, but that may be just the German made ones.......

Last edited:
First Impressions:

Nice saw! Very smooth, great power to weight ratio. Excellent balance. I wish I bought one of these long ago!

It ran like a banshee on the fuel that it came with from the dealer. After the first half-tank ran out and I refilled with my own high-octane, ethanol-free pre-mix, it ran noticeably rich.

It came with a 20" bar, I would have probably chosen 18". I don't like the RSC3 safety chain, it throws smaller chips than RS or RSC. I have plenty of 20" RSC loops which I use on my Huskies; this will go on as soon as this chain is less than razor sharp.

I'm very happy with this purchase. The only reason I stopped cutting: darkness!

I know some will say I am contradicting myself, but in the 60cc class the inboard clutch of the 361 is a big asset......:)

More power as well, but that may be just the German made ones.......

Niko,

I just counted eighty-five posts when you've made the comment German made in reference to the MS361. Now, let's talk real here. Have you ever run an MS361 made in Virginia Beach? Do you know anyone that has? Exactly what is the basis for this oft repeated statement?

Joat

Last edited:
Niko,

I just counted eighty-five posts when you've made the comment German made in reference to the MS361. Now, let's talk real here. Have you ever run an MS361 made in Virginia Beach? Do you know anyone that has? Exactly what is the basis for this oft repeated statement?

Joat

Im lost Joat... Course thats easy sometimes:givebeer:

I bet my SXL-AO will still be cutting in 20 years, long after my plasticky saws have fallen apart.The same can probably be said for my 031 and Mac 10-10.

Hey, I know what you mean, about the Fault of AS. LOL. I was always a Vintage McCulloch Man through and through. Because of the weight of the my Chain Saws, I needed to get a lighter Chain Saw. It took a lot of talking from a few of the Members of AS, to convince me otherwise.
Here is the Saw I picked up last weekend, that I've gotten tore down, because it was seized up. I've got pretty well all the Parts Ordered for it.
New Clutch Hub, Bearing and Rim, New 18" Bar, and 3 Chains to fit.Just have to get the Main Bearings from the Dealer yet, and I should have it running in a couple of weeks. Bruce.

Hey, I know what you mean, about the Fault of AS. LOL. I was always a Vintage McCulloch Man through and through. Because of the weight of the my Chain Saws, I needed to get a lighter Chain Saw. It took a lot of talking from a few of the Members of AS, to convince me otherwise.
Here is the Saw I picked up last weekend, that I've gotten tore down, because it was seized up. I've got pretty well all the Parts Ordered for it.
New Clutch Hub, Bearing and Rim, New 18" Bar, and 3 Chains to fit.Just have to get the Main Bearings from the Dealer yet, and I should have it running in a couple of weeks. Bruce.

I cut 12 pickup loads of wood in the past week with my 044, and I tell ya what, it is for sure the saw legends are made of. I understand the hype now. I love my 044 I got from Scubasawyer, and its not for sale at any price! Its the perfect saw in my opinion.

When I first picked this Chain Saw up off the Floor of the Small Engine Re[air Shop, I could not believe how light the Chain Saw was compared to my McCulloch Chain Saws. I was expecting a Heavy Saw, like my Macs, and reffed it up like I do with my Macs, and I almost Played Chin Music on Myself. Boy did it come up Quick. LOL. Bruce.

Niko,

Joat

Different specs, cylinders and mufflers......

Did you really count???? :jawdrop:

:cheers:

Last edited:
Back