e-Bay problem, need some input

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I "won" a couple of McCulloch bars a few weeks ago; 32" .050 gauge, one was .375 and one was .404. They were advertised as fitting the large mount McCullochs like the SP125.

Well when they finally arrived they did not fit the large saws. I contacted the seller and offered to keep them but wanted an adjustment for one that I paid full list price for.

The seller insisted I send them back and they would refund the full price plus shipping.

I packaged the bars very carefully and shipped them back. After no word for more than two weeks I filed a "substanially different..." claim with PayPal.

Today the seller (vanillabean5858) sends a message saying the package arrived empty and I have to make a claim to the post office and try to track them from this end.

I have shipped a few bars and received a lot of bars and saws so I know what is needed to pack this stuff and did a most thorough job of wrapping/packing the bars for shipment. I am more than a little disgusted with this seller and think I am about to be had.

Anyone know this vanillabean5858?

Can I expect any help from PayPal in getting this resolved?

I am not very happy with the whole thing. I have a few more than 100 e-Bay purchases and this is only the third problem. First one never shipped the goods at all, finally resolved by PayPal forcing them to make a full refund, second was a lost bar (saw arrived but the bar didn't) and the seller made good with another bar & chain, I paid the shipping.

Any chance I will come out on this?

Mark

if you paid with a credit card do a charge back. you have got him if you have proof of delivery. if not you may get had. you just have to ship, you could send him a box of rox.

Find out it your PO can do anything. I know UPS is really good about that kind of thing. We lost several bars once, I just talked to the UPS guy about it, and a couple days later he brought them, they had been found at one of the UPS facilities and were just waiting for someone to claim them.

mark i hope everything works out for you i know things are tough for me right now trying to make the funds up to pay gmac on my van and try to shut the people up that keep calling me bugging me about my bill with them this is one boring year for me

take care

calvin

us postal service can put a tracking on that package that is what the delivery confirmation # is if it was a priority package it comes with a tracking #

my name on ebay is obvious cmsmallengines

Last edited:
Hi Mark.
Message this guy back, and tell him that you are a Member of AS. Let him know, that the Word is Out about him to Members of AS, warning potential Buyers, from AS.
Also contact one of the Moderators of AS, and they will also warn Members about this person as well.
Also contact eBay, and Pay Pal Customer Service, about the Problem, Let them deal with him, and he will be forced to do something.
If you properly Packaged up the Bars, How did the Bars get out? Was the Package Damaged prior to him receiving it?
Bruce.

USPS regular mail.

Says he received an empty package, no bars.

Paid through PayPal, already filed the "substantially different..." claim.

We are trading message through e-Bay, not sure what else to do through them.

Anyone else ever deal with this vanillabean5858?

For a day or two it will be a bit of a waiting game I suppose.

Mark

USPS regular mail.

Says he received an empty package, no bars.

Paid through PayPal, already filed the "substantially different..." claim.

We are trading message through e-Bay, not sure what else to do through them.

Anyone else ever deal with this vanillabean5858?

For a day or two it will be a bit of a waiting game I suppose.

Mark

Did you use a credit card or through your bank account? Credit card will back you up on this. I sure hate the waiting. I had to wait 2 weeks for a non-paying bidder. One week for him not paying and another week after I filed the claim. I wanted my listing fees back or I would have listed the dang thing earlier. Plus, I wanted him to get his STRIKE.

Mark, I bought a bar on ebay once and
it showed what showed up was an empty
piece of card board. The end of the card board
was taped and the bar must have cut the tape
and slid out. Fortunatly the seller sent me another
bar and all was well.
Bars can be heavy and sharp, if the ends were
just taped they may have slid out.
I would file a dispute with paypal before to much
time passes and let the seller deal with paypal and
see what happens.

Just my thoughts Lee

shipping

shipping is usually figured by parcel size and weight.If you have the reciept/bill it should have the weight on it proving item sent.Package another similar size bar and weigh it,tell the dude you have proof it was sent and recieved with parcel size/weight.file neg feedback and contact e-bay/paypal about the issue.This should be enough to force his hand to do right by you.I have many different bars on my saws and can help with the weights.

Mark -

I had a similar thing happen to me awhile back and I did eventually get reimbursed by Paypal, although it took more than a month. I think I ended up calling paypal several times. After filing a "substantially different" claim I was sent an email stating I would hear from them in 30 days. The time passed without any contact from them and I called, then received an email stating that I would not get a refund and that the seller's listing was "effective." I called again and reminded the representative that the seller's picture was misleading, and that the title was wrong for what I received, although the equipment was similar. She said she would see what she could do. A few days later I received an email stating that I would receive a refund from paypal even though they thought the seller was blameless. I got to keep the equipment (which I didn't want anyway) and received a refund. The seller and I were both powersellers at the time. The seller had feedback in the 98 range, and took about a month to send my item.

Good luck.

rd

Last edited:
I "won" a couple of McCulloch bars a few weeks ago; 32" .050 gauge, one was .375 and one was .404. They were advertised as fitting the large mount McCullochs like the SP125.

Well when they finally arrived they did not fit the large saws. I contacted the seller and offered to keep them but wanted an adjustment for one that I paid full list price for.

The seller insisted I send them back and they would refund the full price plus shipping.

I packaged the bars very carefully and shipped them back. After no word for more than two weeks I filed a "substanially different..." claim with PayPal.

Today the seller (vanillabean5858) sends a message saying the package arrived empty and I have to make a claim to the post office and try to track them from this end.

I have shipped a few bars and received a lot of bars and saws so I know what is needed to pack this stuff and did a most thorough job of wrapping/packing the bars for shipment. I am more than a little disgusted with this seller and think I am about to be had.

Anyone know this vanillabean5858?

Can I expect any help from PayPal in getting this resolved?

I am not very happy with the whole thing. I have a few more than 100 e-Bay purchases and this is only the third problem. First one never shipped the goods at all, finally resolved by PayPal forcing them to make a full refund, second was a lost bar (saw arrived but the bar didn't) and the seller made good with another bar & chain, I paid the shipping.

Any chance I will come out on this?

if your lucky!!! i don't think paypal will help you once you sent them back. it's a he said she said thing now. once you mailed them, with out insuring them, and they got lost,(maybe they did) thats generally on you.

Mark

if you paid with a credit card do a charge back. you have got him if you have proof of delivery. if not you may get had. you just have to ship, you could send him a box of rox.

what do you have ????? proof of an empty box being delivered !!! you have proof the box got there !!! not ,what was in it !!!

The person receiving an item damaged is the one to do a claim not the sender.

you are 100% right,,,BUT there is no damaged item!!!!! just a box !!!!if an empty box arrived,, want damages are you going to claim ??????

Hi Mark.
Message this guy back, and tell him that you are a Member of AS. Let him know, that the Word is Out about him to Members of AS, warning potential Buyers, from AS.
Also contact one of the Moderators of AS, and they will also warn Members about this person as well.
Also contact eBay, and Pay Pal Customer Service, about the Problem, Let them deal with him, and he will be forced to do something.
If you properly Packaged up the Bars, How did the Bars get out? Was the Package Damaged prior to him receiving it?
Bruce.

i really don't think AS has this kind of pull... LOL it's out of thier hands now... it a shipping issue,,, and if you send something uninsured, and it gets lost,,, its usually on the sender...

+1 He should have contacted the PO on his end. Did you use Priority with Delivery confirmation? I always use this when doing PO. It gives me piece of mind seeing when it got there.

person recieved an empty box.... you have to insure the package !!!!! UPS is automatic up to $2,500... ( i might be off on this number) USPS =0 , unless you pay for it....

shipping is usually figured by parcel size and weight.If you have the reciept/bill it should have the weight on it proving item sent.Package another similar size bar and weigh it,tell the dude you have proof it was sent and recieved with parcel size/weight.file neg feedback and contact e-bay/paypal about the issue.This should be enough to force his hand to do right by you.I have many different bars on my saws and can help with the weights.

who cares if it was sent??? how much it wieghed ??? reciever is claiming, goods never got there ,,just an empty box...if you send stuff via the mail,,, you have to insure it, if it has any value !!!!!

been through all this before,,, learned the hard way,,, THE SENDER IS ON THE HOOK !!!! sorry, not what you want to hear...

The person receiving an item damaged is the one to do a claim not the sender.

I respectfully disagree. I have only had 1 USPS claim and it was the sender that had to start the proceddings. I have had several DHL and UPS claims and once again it was teh sender that had to file the claim. Now with any of the services the receiver can start a serach for "dead mail" but that is not an insurance claim. With USPS it is a form that ois filled out with all the details and decription of the item. I probably still have a form or 2 around here.

Bill

From Canada to the US, it is always the sender that does the claim. He buys the insurance, so he has to claim it. I have had to do a few a year. The recipient just confirms via phone or email that the box was empty. This happens alot with bars, they shoot out of the box or package. I try to use four layers of cardboard over the ends and wrap tight, so they don't slide inside the cardboard, otherwise, out they go.

Back